7/31/11

Pinhead Faith

 I heard a man talk about faith. He asked how many of us have pinhead faith. The fact that he even asked the question most likely didn't give anyone a good feeling--especially since he asked it of people who are supposed be known for their faith.  It is embarrassing for most of us to admit that our faith is so infantile.

But then the speaker helped us change our minds. He pointed us to a surprising and amazing truth taught by Jesus. He said, "If you have faith as small as mustard seed--the smallest of all the seeds--you will be able to move mountains."

As you contemplate Jesus' words, you realize he was saying the problem for us is not that we don't have magnificent and impressive faith. He was saying that humble, struggling pinhead faith, mustard seed faith is quite enough. And so when there is a problem, it is not found in the diameter of our faith but in the disuse of our faith-whatever its size.

Some of us are tempted to look at some situation in our lives--like something we need to change or something we need to overcome--and think "I just don't think I have enough faith."

But do you have pinhead faith? "Sure," you say, "that pretty well describes what I do have."

Well, Jesus says you have enough-enough to move a mountain. And surely the issue in your life is not bigger than that.


Luke 17:3-6
Mark 9:20-24
James 5:13-18

3 comments:

  1. hi Tom, thank you for sharing about "pinhead faith", I know for me I pray for great faith, great humility, increase my love. But we really just need a mustard seed of faith, we can grow from there. Like our song says "It don't take a whole lot just use what you got, faith, faith , faith, just a little bit of faith".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lamentations 3:22 Helps me see how faith begins with the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom, thank you for sharing about this particular subject. Lately, I have been having a lot of trouble in my marriage. I was thinking that my faith just wasn't strong enough to overcome the issues I was facing with my husband. The comment about the problem not being found in the diameter of my faith, but in the disuse of my faith really changed the direction of my thoughts and actions. Thank you for helping me to see that the trouble in my marriage is not for me to work out by my self, but to focus and rely only on God and all other things will come in His time.

    ReplyDelete