7/24/11

True Colors

Some years ago Aderonke moved from her home in Nigeria to the United Kingdom. In Manchester, England, she met Christians who taught her the message of Jesus. In 1998 she shared in Jesus’ death and resurrection in baptism, becoming his disciple. 


When she became ill some months later, her mother came from Nigeria to be with her and persuaded her to go back home for two weeks.

When the two weeks ended, she was stunned when her family did not allow her to return to England. They would also not allow her to attend church in Nigeria. For almost three years she struggled, feeling alone and disappointed, but she held on to the truth she read in the book of James. Listen to it from The Message translation:

Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. 3You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. 4So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.

When life looks bleak and circumstances aren’t changing, we still can change our minds and say “But, God is not through. He is still at work and is at work with me.”

In ways she would not have expected, God did bring Aderonke back into fellowship with believers, and she’s there today. Her faith did show its true colors.

Psalm 91:15
James 1:2-4, 12
1 Corinthians 10:13
2 Corinthians 1:3-11



2 comments:

  1. Awesome story! I'm going through some testing too myself. I do hope & pray that I am glorifying God one way or another in the way I'm handling it and in the choices I'm making.

    Arvin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! While I'm not going through anything this challenging, I've had some challenges recently that I've learned to be grateful for. I like things to go as planned, and when things go wrong, especially because of someone else I tend to get angry. But it is so true that God can turn these situations into times of growth if we just trust in him. It really is a gift!

    ReplyDelete