7/18/11

Some Mornings

Some mornings I wake up with a mind full of ideas. I can hardly wait to get to the computer to start putting them down.

And then there are mornings like this one when all I seem to think of are how many things there are to do and how little energy I seem to have to get them done.

Some mornings I wake up with a gleam in my eye. Other mornings I feel a burden is on my back.  Can any of you relate?

When the latter happens in a mind like I have, such thoughts can start me on a downward spiral. It doesn’t take me very long to start feeling like a sorry fellow who wonders “How in the world did I ever write a book, and why in the world did I ever commit to doing a podcast that I think someone might actually listen to?”

But the truth is that it was in the middle of muddled and negative thinking just like this that God helped me understand the whole idea of a mind change.  I tried to learn to set my mind like a thermostat before I went to bed so it would be at a certain place when I woke up. Unfortunately that never worked.

But what I did learn was that the thoughts I have when morning breaks don’t have to dominate and determine the outcome of my day.

No, the God who gives a new day can also give us a changed mind.




8 comments:

  1. I can relate, and I hang on to scriptures to pull me through,walks, nature, and staying still in god's presence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely needed to hear this today. With a particuluarly difficult person to deal with at work, I have to keep reminding myself that this a growth opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again, Tom. I had this kind of morning Sat morning...the "what good am I REALLY accomplishing" kind of morning. The principles that I learned from your book and the great scriptures you shared there along with others have helped me many times DECIDE to change my attitude, getting grateful and returning to a faithful heart. I decided to follow Jesus' example with "get behind me Satan". I ended up having an amazing day, grateful for and reminded of my Father's love and power! Thanks for sharing so honestly...and fighting on. Very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot think of ANYTHING you have written, Tom, that has not been helpful...to me and to so many others. THANK YOU for pushing through!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your vulnerability is the most inspiring and encouraging to me right now, as I am feeling the same way. Thank you for your godly focus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was excellent! Just what I needed this morning. I know I am not alone in that type of thinking and I know I can CHANGE my mind. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jayme Allan- Westwood, MAJuly 19, 2011 at 8:57 AM

    2 C 3:5 "..... Our competence comes from God."

    As long as God gives you breath and opportunity - keep bringing Him glory, Tom! He has opened this door for you. Take courage - share His Word and your life as well. Your life is worthy of respect and is inspiring. And His Word is our salvation. Amen!? We all love you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I most certainly relate. Thank you for taking the time to share your blog & podcasts with us ~ helping us realize we are not alone in this spiritual battle and that God truly is our hope.

    Much love in Him.

    ReplyDelete