8/25/13

God Enjoys Our Prayers

For a few weeks we are featuring material from Teach Us to Pray  ©1995 by Discipleship Publications International and edited by Tom and Sheila Jones. This week’s post is excerpted and adapted from a chapter by Robyn Williams who serves as women’s ministry leader in the Los Angeles Church of Christ.

Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God’s people (Revelation 5:8b)

For there to be a relationship, both people must communicate.  God speaks to us through his Word; we speak to God through our prayers.  As we open up our hearts and thoughts to him in prayer, God enjoys hearing our prayers.  They are like golden bowls of incense to him.


We must let God know us through our prayers.  Early in my relationship with my husband, Bruce, there were times he had to pull things out of me.  But as our relationship matured, I began to volunteer my feelings and thoughts.  The more secure I felt in his love for me, the more I let him know the real me.  This is how our relationship with God should be.

The longer we are in the Lord, the more secure and real we should be in our prayers.  King David was very real with God.  On any given day, he could be very down or fearful or sorrowful or joyful.  Whatever he was feeling, he communicated to God.  As David revealed his heart to God, God was able to disciple him and help him to be “the man after God's own heart.”  Do you enjoy the fact that you can be totally real with God?

Today when you pray, understand that God enjoys having you in his kingdom and enjoys having you come to him as a son or a daughter.  Rejoice in the relationship you have with him and commit yourself to give God even more joy by living to please him.


Dear Lord, I thank you for wanting to know me….I pray that every day I will grow stronger in you, become more like you, and do more for you.  Please help me be humble and see my need for you daily.  Help me to never neglect my time with you, to make it special, and never take it for granted….In Jesus’ name, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. It's at least a intimate close relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the thought that God enjoys my prayers. Of course, I've always known that He hears them & answers them...but He actually enjoys hearing from me! :)

    ReplyDelete