9/1/13

Hungering for God

For a few weeks we are featuring material from Teach Us to Pray  ©1995 by Discipleship Publications International and edited by Tom and Sheila Jones. This week’s post is the first of two we will publish from a chapter by Steve Kinnard who serves as a teacher in the New York City Church of Christ.
            

               As a doe longs for running streams,
                so longs my soul for you, my God.

                My soul thirsts for God, the God of life;
                when shall I go to see the face of God?
                (Psalm 42:1‑2, The Jerusalem Bible)

True prayer is a yearning for God.  The person who rightly prays hungers and thirsts for God.  Most people in the developed world have never really been hungry.  At most we have experienced a self-imposed hunger from fasting.  I once fasted for 21 days on just water.  By the fourth day, I felt really hungry.  Every cell in my body was crying out for food.  But my situation was somewhat artificial.  At any moment I could have grabbed a hamburger or pulled out a “Twinkie.”  With real hunger comes a sense of desperation—and urgency.

One sees this hunger in the Third World.  When I was in Calcutta, India in 1985, I saw hunger.  I saw it in the eyes of an emaciated girl who held out her hands longingly for a piece of bread.  I saw it in the face of a dirty, sweating boy who rummaged through the trash in the gutter looking for a discarded sandwich.  It is more than being a little hungry or a little thirsty.  It is desperation.  This is the type of hunger and thirst we must have for God.  The heart that finds is the heart desperate for God. In the Bible a hunger for God always ends in prayer.


3 comments:

  1. Funny how the Spirit works. I was just reading a chapter in "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan about really being in love with God, rather than having a relationship built on duty or obligation...God wants us to want Him? Question is do we really want Him??? Here is America bro, you are really spot on. We don't even know what it is to hunger! We are late for a meal and we are "starving". We share our faith once a day and feel proud of ourselves. We tithe and think we are sacrificing. I don't know why I am saying we though, I NEED TO HUNGER, BEG, DIE TO MYSELF. Bro, the longest I've ever fasted is 3 days. Thank you for convicting our hearts. To God be the Glory!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this post. I have been struggling with hungering for God. I have noticed that other things have become a priority over God. Well, more like, I have slowed down and become complacent and sometimes I feel like my heart is numb. So I am in a search on how to get out of this hole that I created for myself. This scripture will be the beginning. ;0) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS IS AWESOME. THANK YOUR FOR THIS PIECE. I NEED TO HUNGER FOR GOD.

    ReplyDelete