8/18/13

Able to Save Completely

For a few weeks we are featuring material from Teach Us to Pray  ©1995  by Discipleship Publications International and edited by Tom and Sheila Jones. This week’s post is an excerpt from a chapter by Marilyn Kreite who now lives in British Columbia.

Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them. . . .He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself (Hebrews 7:25, 27b).

We go through times where we study, we pray, we share our faith.  We see ourselves growing, really changing to be like Jesus.  God blesses us with fruit, and our friends commend us.  It is well with our souls. . .  Suddenly, deep crevices of sin are exposed in our hearts, and the walls of well-being crack and cave in.  Our sinfulness looms larger than life–larger, it seems, than the blood of Jesus can ever conquer.  Tidal waves of doubt assail us. He saved me once from all my sins.  Can he do it again? 


Consider: “He is able to save completely:” The lifeline he throws me is never too short, weak or worn out to pull me all the way in.  “He always  lives:”  He is prepared to keep on rescuing me until the day I die!  “Once for all:”  One death was sufficient for all my sins, for all time!  Jesus’ grace isn’t given with an expiration date, nor does it come with a clause to cover only the sins I am aware of.  The sacrifice of his perfect, holy and sinless body was more than enough to deal with ALL my sins–past, present and future!  I need only to hold on to my confidence and hope in his promises (Hebrews 3:6,14; 6:19; 10:23).

God wants his children to be absolutely confident that we can draw near to him with freedom and assurance whenever we pray.  Whether we are rejoicing in his blessings or crying in the darkness of our sins–he is near.  He has brought us near.  The cross is enough!


Heavenly Father, sometimes I feel like a beggar, coming to you in filthy rags of sin.  But I know that in your grace and mercy, you welcome me, not as a beggar, but as your special child.  Thank you for the blood of Jesus, for his perfect sacrifice for me.  Thank you that his death paid the price for all my sins, so that I can pray to you so freely through him.  It’s so humbling and amazing to realize that you see me as holy, blameless and pure because you’ve clothed me with Christ.  I’m so grateful that I don’t have to do “penance” or punish myself for my sins, because I know I could never do enough.  Thank you that Jesus did everything for me!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks again for this encouragement, another example of his extreme nth degree pricelessness of things in everyday life that we owe him total honor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! When you've been doing this a while its easy to forget the things that drew you close to God in the first place.

    ReplyDelete