8/14/11

Raise the Volume


Sometimes a mind change is made quietly as you contemplate Scripture or as you pray or maybe even as you work or drive your car. You confront your circumstances, take note of your faulty thinking and decide to lock your mind on to God’s thoughts instead.

But sometimes I find that the only way to make a mind change is to be loud and passionate.

This week I went to a place to pray and as I began, I was constantly distracted. I know we have all had that experience. We want to connect with God, but there are all kinds of things going on in our minds. As I paid attention to those distracting thoughts, one thing was clear: It is hard to admit, but they were all about me. They were about how hard something is for me. They were about how unfair some things seemed for me. They were all about how others could not understand me.

Now I suppose I could have quietly said, “Tom this is not good. You need to adjust your thinking.” But these thoughts seemed not only wicked but insistent and determined. It seemed no quiet response would do. Thinking immediately of Jesus’ rebuke of Peter, I blurted out with considerable force:  “Out of my sight, Satan! These are not the thoughts of God but the thoughts of men!”

My explosive response seemed to be just what was needed. The “what about me?” demons ran for the hills. I was freed up to focus on God, his calling and his provision. Some of the things that try to lodge in our minds can only be expelled with force, power and maybe even considerable volume. When this is needed don’t hold back.


Focus Scriptures

Matthew 4:1-11
Matthew 16:23

2 comments:

  1. I started to read this this morning and I am...not even sure how to describe it. All morning I have been feeling this exact struggle!!! Trying for over an hour to connect with God. Then expressing frustration in my journal and realized I was not getting there because of how much my thoughts were focussed on ME! And how often I don't focus on GOD!!! Tom, I am amazed at how the Spirit speaks to us all! Your thoughts for today were planned by God and it's beyond us!! Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, This is such great insight. Honestly, I have the hardest time connecting with God. I start off with good intentions and then two minutes into my prayers I'm thinking of so many other things and little by little the prayer is over before it even really started. I will definately think of this next time I'm filling my mind up with "me".

    ReplyDelete