8/28/11

The Joy of the Lord is Your Strength

Most of us quite naturally think that joy comes when we feel strong; when we have done well and when things work out as we think they should. If we are feeling weak, uncertain, ill-prepared, disappointed, guilty or hurt, it hardly seems that joy could be in our hearts at the same time.
But consider a verse in Nehemiah. This verse comes after the people have been listening to Ezra, the priest, read to them from the law of God over several hours. As they hear it, they are weeping, apparently realizing their failures.
But in 8:10, “Nehemiah said, ‘Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is sacred to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.’”
We think strength comes first and then we can have joy. But Nehemiah’s words give us a different order. First, we grasp the joy of the Lord—the joy that comes from God’s presence, God’s grace and God’s commitment to us—the joy that comes from things not dependent on our emotions or experiences at all. And embracing the joy of the Lord then gives us strength.
No wonder Paul would say to one first-century church: “Rejoice always” and to another: “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!”
Such rejoicing definitely is unnatural. It requires a deliberate mind change. But when such a change is made by faith, it brings a strength to face the chaos, the confusion and the challenges.
 Focus Scriptures
Nehemiah 8:1-17
Psalm 5:11
Psalm 28:7

2 comments:

  1. This morning was a particularly grueling morning with the kids. I lost my temper yet AGAIN and had to apologize. However, that wasn't before my daughter uttered the words, "I hate her!" to my son. I really felt kicked in my gut. I really wanted to retaliate because it hurt me so deeply, but what I found was that apologizing for my blowing up was the better choice. I want to hold onto the pain of hearing my only daughter so those words about me, but I know that she really didn't mean it. The challenge is to forgive the words and move on like they were never said. That is definitely a mind change that is going to be necessary in our relationship.

    Charice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I have been meditating on this very scripture and pondering joy and strength, trying to be mindful of God in all I do. This mind change moment has made me come full circle in these meditations, and I am renewed in spirit, with a determination to be joyful first with strength and perseverance following.

    ReplyDelete