8/21/11

Christian, I Hear You



A few days ago an old friend shared with me what he had been reading from Psalm 143. Two days later as I was encouraging another friend, I turned to the words that had been shared with me, and again the power of Scripture was seen. Moved by this result, I decided to spend time every morning for a week focusing on this passage.


That Psalm opens with this verse:

O LORD, hear my prayer,
       listen to my cry for mercy;
       in your faithfulness and righteousness
       come to my relief.

What we find here is a man like ourselves—a man in some distress, a man who doesn’t have it all figured out, a man aware of his need to pray and unashamedly to cry out for mercy. But this man, David, is one who has taught me so much about the power of a mind change. In his crying out, did you notice what he does? He declares God’s faithfulness and righteousness.

Focusing on those words, I found myself hearing God on the other end of a prayer like this. I say, “Lord, hear my prayer.”  His response is, “Tom, I hear your prayer.”  I say, “Listen to my cry for mercy,” and I hear him say, “Tom, I am listening with compassion to your cry for mercy.”  I say, “In your faithfulness and righteousness come to my relief,” and I hear him say, “Tom, in my faithfulness and righteousness you can count on me coming to your relief.”

As you pray, think of God’s faithfulness and righteousness, and I expect you too will hear his voice.


Focus Scripture
Psalm 143

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these scriptures.
    Recently, I feel distressed and am losing hope.
    This Psalm reminds me He is my shelter and I can ask for His help especially when I am powerless and not doing good.
    I believe it's not an coincidence that I read this Psalm from your sharing.
    It must be His arrangement for me.
    His faithfulness never ends. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Tom -

    This is so helpful. Will help in my focus during my commute to/from work and all the time.

    Love in Him,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to focus morevon Gods qualities when I pray. What greater qualities to focus on than his faithfulness and his righteousness. We had a horrible winter in MA and it felt that no end was in sight. This spring and summerchave been such a beautiful blessing and declaration of His faithfulness. It is challenging to me that as I research our government , the economy and even the political process in America - I see only corruption and manipulation. How hopeful to focus on GoDs righteousness as the ultimate authority.We worship a great God!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Tom for your Mind Change Moments. Being a servant of God isn't easy in this "me" world..it is encouraging and inspirational to read Psalm 143 and David's prayer for mercy. When we read the word, pray with earnestness, we will surely hear God's response and be lifted up! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, once again the devotional you created was something timely, and something I needed to read.

    I share your 'moments' with my family and they all find strength and encouragement from them. Thank you for reaching out to others in Jesus' name.

    ReplyDelete