5/29/11

The Spiritual Battle

King David was aware of his enemies. He writes:

For I hear the slander of many;
There is terror on every side.
They conspire against me
And plot to take my life.

My enemies are just as real as David’s. They are those powers of this dark world and the spiritual forces of evil that Paul describes in Ephesians. They are called “powers” because they are strong and are to be reckoned with. They conspire against me and want to ruin my life. This is not paranoia; it is just facing the facts.

They infiltrate my mind, causing a kind of spiritual auto-immune disease, so my mind can conjure up every possible reason that my failure will be eventual if not quick.

After facing the hard facts, David has a mind change. He says
“But I trust in you, O Lord;
I say “You are my God, my times are in your hands.”

He turns away from fear of his enemies and declares his faith.

Learning from David, I can hear the slander those evil powers broadcast against me, and turn my mind to God saying “But I trust in you, O Lord, You are my God, my times are in your hands.”

In my book, Mind Change, power thought #25 reads:

Don't resent the spiritual battle. 
Be thankful you have the weapons to fight it.
Be glad you are on the winning side.

8 comments:

  1. I was truly battling this today. Fear for the safety of my children can threaten to overwhelm me sometimes. It woke me at 2:30 AM this morning. I pray for God to watch over them and protect them, but also that good or bad, my heart is surrendered to and trusts in God's will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Often I think I am my worst enemy with my negative thinking. Yet, it helps to remember I am being attacked by the spiritual forces of this world and that I have a victorious way to fight. Yes, I do trust in God and my times are in His hands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you - I really needed this today. Negative thinking can overwhelm me and I must always remember this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "my times are in His hands..." . Awesome verse, I had not seen that before, it is very powerful, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for helping me to be "self controlled and alert to the devil's schemes", and not to mistake his schemes for a reality check. God;s love, mercy, wisdom and power are the reality, as well as his promises: "He who started a good work in you will see it through to completion."

    ReplyDelete
  6. i didn't get got read this yesterday, but Thank you for reminding me that I'm in a battle and to be thankful and not be resentful. I NEED TO TRUST IN GOD with aLL things!! thankS

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the phrase "my times are in your hands". It helps me to keep my fears at bay and in the right context...I am God's and not a single hair on my head or the head of those I love will be touched by these "powerful" enemies without His full knowledge and allowance. Great stuff, Tom. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for reminding me that indeed God is by my side,He will never leave me nor forsake me,and i need to always start the day,carry-it through knowing that my times are in Gods hands...

    ReplyDelete