5/15/11

Enjoy the Challenge

In the New Testament the apostle Paul says, “[God] comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others.”

This is the painful truth: God allows pain. Most of us don’t like it. We profile those who do like it in the abnormal psychology books. But the God who allows pain, for purposes we may not fully understand, also gives comfort. And one of the reasons he gives us comfort is to make us part of what we might call a “comforting chain reaction.”

We are all familiar with a “downward spiral” where one bad experience leads to another one. God wants to create an “upward spiral.” I may get knocked down by something painful. But rather than fall into a downward spiral, I can change my mind, look to God and allow him to give me his comfort and strength…then I can be there for someone else who has taken a tough hit. As I help that person, we are both encouraged, and we are both equipped to encourage someone else.

In my book, Mind Change, Power Thought #20 reads:


Decide to enjoy the challenge.

If it is going to be there, you might as well enjoy it.
God is allowing it for some good purpose.
Like, Jacob, don’t let go of it until it blesses you.


Remember that problems prepare you to give to others.


1 comment:

  1. My family has had quite a few challenges lately. This is great to remember, and I especially like to think of Jacob wrestling with the angel until he receives a blessing.

    ReplyDelete