5/8/11

Accept with Faith


Karen was fifteen when she developed a rare form of muscular dystrophy known as Friedrich’s Ataxia. When she was around thirty she had to use an electric wheelchair that she operated with one hand. She soon required a personal assistant to dress and bathe and prepare food. She met a man named Rich who also used a wheelchair, having been paralyzed from the waist down by polio as a child.

Ten years ago I did their premarital counseling and performed their wedding ceremony. Everyone in the wedding party was seated, including me as the presiding minister because I have MS. The best man was a quadriplegic and, of course, in his wheel chair. I have performed a number of weddings throughout the years but never one more inspiring or more memorable.

Can you imagine the negative thoughts Karen and Rich had to overcome to envision a marriage with their severe disabilities?

But these two special people have learned the power of changing their minds. Karen says, “As my disability has progressed, I am constantly reminded to rethink my attitude, and have a godly focus, realizing that I am given the opportunity to pray much more diligently. I have learned to laugh, instead of getting frustrated.”

In my book, Mind Change, Power Thought # 4 says:

Accept whatever
comes. . .with faith.

Disappointment?  Faith.
Unfairness?  Faith.
Fear?  Faith.

Thank you, Karen and Rich, for showing us faith in difficult circumstances.


1 comment:

  1. Tom, thank you for sharing this. They are amazing examples.. Karen & Rich are in our group, I am so thankful to their being.
    Soyoung

    ReplyDelete