1/2/11

Of Legs and Life

It will not surprise you that I watched some football on New Year’s Day. After all I live in North America. I also enjoyed black-eyed peas and cornbread with family and friends and played a fun game of “Catch Phrase.” But football was the main thing on the schedule. I only watched one game from beginning to end (Roll Tide), but I saw some of all the others.


When I watch football I am most amazed at the legs of the men. Maybe that’s because my own will hardly move, but I am in awe of the legs that propel players with blinding  speed; legs that keep churning for more yardage, even when two or three opponents are on the runner’s back; legs that enable a player to leap high above a defender to make an amazing catch. Legs are crucial. When a coach sends in a new running back, the announcer will often say it’s to give the team some fresh legs.

But just about the time I get too impressed with all this, I remember this passage from Psalms:

"His delight is not in the strength of the horse, nor his pleasure in the legs of a man, but the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear him, in those who hope in his steadfast love." Psalms 147:10-11 (ESV)

As I begin a new year, I am thankful God is moved by internal qualities like respect for him and hope in his love, and that my ability to be used by him has nothing to do with being able to a run a 4.47 forty or even to able to walk to the mailbox.

This has been Tom Jones with the first Mind Change Moment for 2011.

Additional Scripture
  Psalm 33:16-22
No king is saved by the size of his army;
no warrior escapes by his great strength.
17A horse is a vain hope for deliverance;
despite all its great strength it cannot save.
18But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him,
on those whose hope is in his unfailing love,
19to deliver them from death
and keep them alive in famine.

20We wait in hope for the Lord;
he is our help and our shield.
21In him our hearts rejoice,
for we trust in his holy name. 

3 comments:

  1. Amen, brother. We have no idea of the challenges for 2011. But of this, we can be sure - there will be plenty of them and how well and often we rely on God, His Son and His Spirit and not our own strength will determine the outcome, in our own lives, of those challeges.
    May God help us all, especially those in all the various levels of leadership, to be relying on Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tom for the reminder that its not about us, but all about God.....something that I personally need to remember daily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tom. Thank you for your perspective. My legs too are getting weaker because of age and my MD but we are called to preserver. God wants us to be faithful, he says, "GO, on the strength you have"not the strength our neighbor has, or the athlete on TV. It's not a footrace to the end, it's a marathon of faithfulness and perseverance.Perhaps the weakness that we have is what we need to make it to heaven.
    Never give up!

    ReplyDelete