1/9/11

In Grace I Stand

I am sure you have been counting and so probably know that this Mind Change Moment number 190. :) To get us to an even 200, I will use the next eleven Mondays to share with you eleven passages that seem to have most impacted my life. Once we reach that milestone, we will be stopping, at least for a while. DPI will be rerunning previous weeks for those of you want to continue to receive them.

So this week we start with passage number 11 and it comes from Romans 5:1-2:


Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.

If salvation was on any other basis than by grace, through faith,  I would not live with much peace. If it depended on always waking up with a great attitude, I would be in trouble. If it depended on scoring a 97 on the 100-point disciplined life scale, I would be sunk. If it came by living flawlessly in all my relationships, I would be shaking. If it were only available to those who make an A+ in doctrinal correctness, I wouldn't make the cut.

I am committed to doing well in all those areas along with others, and I take responsibility for my failures, but I do have peace—at least most of the time-- because I have gained access by faith into the grace in which we now stand.

Last week I saw pictures of people in California standing in two feet of mud—in their houses. There is a lot of difference in standing in mud and standing in grace.

Trying to earn your relationship with God through great accomplishments and a high-scoring performance is a lot like standing in mud. It brings a feeling of hopelessness. On the other hand, standing by faith in grace brings peace and a great hope in the glory of God.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder that I am knee-deep in grace! For awhile now I have been stagnant in keeping up with devotionals and prayer times with my two Teens. I am a single parent who works all of the time, however there is no time like the present to reflect on God's abundant grace being sufficiently and freely given. I will use the mind change moments to kick-start our devotionals again. Thank you so much, and may God bless your future endeavours!
    Love in Christ,
    Tricia, Armanís and Anderson Pollard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder of God's grace on us Tom! I am looking forward to the next 10 -11 weeks.. and will be sad when it's over. I understand you can't continue doing this forever... maybe someone can continue sending out MCM's in your stead in the future.

    Your brother,

    Phil
    Los Angeles Church

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom,
    Thanks for this constant reminder that we stand in GRACE and not in our performances for God. I have greatly appreciated your weekly moments and all that you have shared in your books. I pray God will bless you as you take a rest from MCM. Thanks for all the ways you have encouraged so many people like me.
    your brother,
    Richard
    Northern Virginia Church

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom, thank you for the thoughts on the grace we stand in. Whenever I read something of yours I hear your voice along with it. It often takes me back to the Christian Student Center days, it was your voice that taught me the message of the cross. I will cherish the next MCMs to come...and will miss hearing your voice every Monday! Thank you so much for the wisdom you and Sheila have shared over the years.

    Love in Him,
    Jeannine Spencer

    ReplyDelete