12/26/10

A New "Do"

Someone has defined New Year’s resolutions as a to-do list for the first week of January. After a week it seems most folks are back to the same same-old, same –old. “One and done.”

On the other hand, there are at least a few who will decide that the turning of that page on the calendar offers an opportunity to do some serious growing and they will begin something in January that leads to real change. In my experience these are people who understand two things.
First, they understand the need for resolve. They are not just following the annual rite of winter. They are people who put the “resolute” into resolutions. They will have the attitude seen in Paul when he wrote these words:

Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,  I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:13-14).

Second, they understand the need for help. We just do not make changes alone. For disciples of Jesus that help comes from the “fellowship.”  Listen to John’s words:

”We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ” (1 John 1:3).

Fellowship here is that great Greek word koinonia and it refers to the help, support and love we have with each other and with God and his Son, and the way all these relationships interplay in our lives in a transforming way.

With resolve and help we can be a lot more than a people who are “one and done.” We can follow through with a new “do.”

3 comments:

  1. Amen Tom. Lets do a new "DO". Happy New Years brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Let me just say that God is making it clear what has been in my heart for a long time. I have so desired that for what you speak of. I have desired for us, as a movement to get back to really being in each other's lives. I love that part of being a disciple. I love being a family of believers. I love that we are not on this journey singularly. I love that when I made Jesus Lord of my Life, I also gained a whole host of brothers and sisters that spanned the globe.

    Let's resolve this year to really be a FELLOWSHIP of believers and to really desire that with all of our hearts, minds and souls.

    Charice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tom,
    At the end of this year I'm facing a challenge in my life to keep going. The verse you sited in Phil. 3:13-14 speaks of straining and pressing on, both of those require effort and work so that we can reach the goal of heaven. I have to remember that sometimes in my journey of faith, there are uphill parts, and mountains and it will require the effort to keep pressing on to win the prize. Thank you for the reminder that our standard is not the same as the world's.

    ReplyDelete