1/23/11

Through Weakness

I am taking a few weeks to give you eleven passages of Scripture that I believe have had the greatest impact on my life. We have talked about number 11 and number 10 and that brings us to number 9, and I cannot count the times this one has kept me going. It is 2 Cor. 12:9:

    But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Some of us seem to be more in touch with our strengths and others of us are more in touch with our weaknesses. Most of my life I have been in the latter category. Just naturally wired this way, I then developed a chronic disease that can make even the most buoyant and self-confident fellow feel amazingly weak. I honestly believe that had it not been for this passage I likely would have lived a life characterized by doubting, withdrawing, pulling back and giving up.

Again and again I have been confronted with various feelings of weakness—that gut level emotion that says, “I just don’t think you have what it takes.” But if there is a reason that I am not known as one who retreats from the battle, it has to be found in the promise and the spirit of this verse.

I claimed this promise when walking into college dorms to lead Bible studies; when traveling across the country to speak or to take on the task of putting together a book.  But I also have clung to it when seeking to lead my family and be the husband and dad I did not seem to have the strength to be. In my flesh I prefer for God to work through my strengths, don’t you? But one of the greatest miracles is that he works through weakness.

5 comments:

  1. I have a love/hate relationship with this passage. I tell god that I am tired of being weak so that He can be strong, but He is God and He does things His way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing this. It is no coincidence that God led me to read this. Recently promoted, I have been having trouble accepting God's blessing because I don't feel adequate, because I feel insecure. Will I fail? Will I make the cut? Will I exceed expectations?

    This scripture tells me to TRUST God, because even through weakness, His work will manifest. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like weakness is my middle name, but God has always been faithful to me. Thank you for reminding us of this promise. I need to carry it more closely to my heart every day because it is can give so much encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you Tom. When I think of Power in Weakness, I think of this scripture, you, the over comers in Boston and all over the Kingdom, the leaders of the church, and many more. Heaven will be filled with overcomers.

    ReplyDelete