4/4/10

Shabbat Shalom

From sundown last Friday to night fall last Saturday, Sheila and I observed a Jewish-style Sabbath (Shabbat) to give us time to prepare our hearts for Easter. We read about Shabbat from Jewish and Jewish Christian writers and as novices to Sabbath observance, we sought to follow as many of the guidelines as possible.


At 6:48 Sheila lit the candles, waved her arms and said the blessing. After sundown at 7:09 I said the Kiddush to bless the wine. Since we were not attending a service, we soon enjoyed a “festive” meal by candlelight, using no electrical lighting the rest of the night.


After dinner, we read more articles on the meaning and value of Shabbat, read a section of a new book titled Distracted, and let all these writings guide some special conversation. The television and computers were shut down. No phone calls were allowed to interrupt. Most Jewish writers describe Shabbat as a blessing, and we understood why.


Just to keep it real, this quiet time to focus, eventually found us discovering some hurt we both were feeling. As we explored these things, it seemed that our time of renewal had taken a wrong turn. But as has been so often true over our forty years of marriage, prayer remarkably brought us to a good place.


Somewhere, sometime I will write more about what we experienced that Friday night and the next day until nightfall, because like creation itself, it was very good. We came away from this island of tranquility fully refreshed.


In my younger years, I was taught that the only thing we need to know about the Sabbath is that we Christians don’t have to observe it. I now want to teach others that we are free to observe it and that we might be surprised at what a gift it can give us.

8 comments:

  1. Tom - Thank you for sharing this. It is inspiring and helps me to remember to reach deeper for true quiet time with God. Turn off the computer, Blackberry, cell phone and see what God wants to show us. Love, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts and experience. I look forward to exploring this in the future. Very intriguing to experience what God put in place for His people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good post, Tom. I like the idea you put forth about freedom to observe that which we are not bound to observe, and of course the things that pop up when we quiet ourselves.
    Janet O'Donnell

    ReplyDelete
  4. whatever we do may we do it for the LORD. Amen Tom and Sheila, keep going strong your both a wonderful example. We love you.
    Dianne in Daytona

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the freedom it brings, it's a deeper more fee-er way of drawing closer to God. I am inspired

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary and Russ in TallahasseeApril 8, 2010 at 6:14 AM

    Tom, What a great experience you must have enjoyed. I too had understood very little about Sabbath and my need to experince God's Sabbath rest until I was having some intense family struggles and searching for answers to find rest and peace in my heart and home.
    I stumbled upon a book sale at our volunteer table at the hospital, only to find an incredible book on restoring Sabbath in our lives called "The Rest Of God" by Mark Buchanan. I highly reccommend this book to you and others to inspire us to see and understand more deeply the gift God has given us in the art of Sabbath keeping.
    I am trying to remember to stop the crazy business and weariness that comes with being a working mom filled with a mind of worries and to do lists by focusing on my daily time with God as part of cultivating my heart to have Sabbath mindset through the day.
    God's Sabbath Rest is so illusive, I look forward to learning from your quest on Gods Sabbath.
    Thank you both for all your heartful work through your publishing company and books you have authored to keep us strong and faithful. You both are Heros of the Faith to my husband and me.
    Mary and Russ in Tallahassee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Mary and Russ, I have bought the book and look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How refreshing to hear about your eagerness to learn from the faith and beliefs of those outside your own doctrine. I have felt for a long time that we (churches of Christ) do not have all the answers and have so much to learn, (even from other denominations), without sacrificing our doctrinal beliefs.

    Terri in Illinois

    ReplyDelete