4/18/10

First Word: Openness

Last year I identified four words that I found to be keys to grasping the height and depth and length and breadth of Jesus’ teaching about the kingdom of God. This week and for the next three, I want to focus on these words.

The first key is openness. Since the kingdom is best understood as “the age to come” breaking into the present age, kingdom concepts are so counter-intuitive and counter-cultural. So many forces within us object to the life that comes from the age to come. All this means that if we are going to let the kingdom life take up residence in our hearts, we have to make a decision to be radically open, and then reaffirm that decision again and again.

Our minds are full of beliefs and agendas. To live a kingdom life, we must surrender all those beliefs, enter a state where we are being transformed and then be open to thinking in totally new ways—even ways that will likely seem crazy to an old mindset schooled in the ways of the world.

If you are tempted to think, “I have been through that stage; I have been in the church 20 years; or I have been a disciple for 15 years,” be careful. Most religion is some kind of synthesis of the world’s wisdom and biblical ideas, with the world’s ideas often being the tail that wags the dog. If you are certain this could not be true of you, you are most at risk. We must humble ourselves at the feet of Jesus and be deliberately open to allowing the other-worldly kingdom to come and for God’s will to be done, on earth as it is in heaven.


Focus Scripture

Matthew 18:1-5

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"

2He called a little child and had him stand among them. 3And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

5"And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me.


2 comments:

  1. Amen! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm reading The Kingdom That Turned the World Upside Down and am profoundly impacted! I've been on a spiritual journey for the last several months that has opened my eyes to how little I trust in God and how much the world has infiltrated my life. I repent! it has been like pulling out those tough weeds in your garden that you have allowed to grow for way too long. Getting the roots out is such a challenge. It's impossible for me, but I trust that with God, it is possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki, Dave Bercot's book is a good one, showing how the early church lived out the kingdom life in ways that seemed crazy to people then and now. Thanks for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete