3/28/10

Remembering Resurrection

This week is called Holy Week in many churches. I just finished reading a long article describing the history of Holy Week and the different liturgical elements that one tradition includes in its services this week. Honestly, it was bit exhausting trying to retain all the rituals, symbols, genuflections and prostrations.

When I read the New Testament, I am struck by the simplicity that characterizes the way we are to remember Jesus’ death and resurrection. In 1 Corinthians 11 Paul describes the church together taking the bread and then taking the cup and remembering the Lord’s death. In so doing they declared that he will return as the resurrected Christ.

And, of course, this wasn’t done just one day during the year, but again and again as the disciples came together. While I never want to leave this simplicity, I have thought about what I can do to prepare myself for a special time to remember the resurrection this Easter.

Sheila and I have decided to observe Shabbat (the Sabbath) before Easter, treating it as a Sabbath day of rest (which means, for one thing, staying away from the computers!). We will follow the traditional Jewish times, from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday. Having more time to pray, one of the needs we will focus on will be those who we know are considering Jesus and could soon be united with his death and raised with him from baptism.

This week should not really be more “holy” than any other for Jesus’ followers, but I would encourage you to think about what you might do to have a special week, remembering the most mind-changing event in history.

5 comments:

  1. I really like the idea of resting on God's day. I grew up (part of my life) in/near a Hasidic neighborhood in Brooklyn, N.Y. Things I observed on those holy days were that even a light switch could not be flicked on or off because it was considered "work" ! Imagine what our lives would be like if we really took time to rest on God's day to focus like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom and Sheila,
    May you have a restful and rejuvenating time connecting with the LORD as you "unplug" from the cyber/electronic world in order to observe the Shabbat this weekend. I am heartened that you will make as a focus of your prayer time during this coming Sabbath day a petition for those seeking Jesus to find him.

    I am grateful that in this current era that Jesus has ushered in, my followship of him is simple yet ineffably profound. Anyone, anywhere can call on the name of Jesus directly, and he so willingly so personally communes with each one of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shabbath Shalom Tom and Sheila,and yet Jesus (Yeshua Ha Mashiach) is LORD of the Sabbath.
    Amen,
    in Him
    Nikesh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen Tom and Sheila. God is good all the time and his love endures forever. I love your heart to learn and to grow in your relationship with our LORD Jesus Christ and God our Father. May you and your family always rest in God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom and Sheila,

    Last Sunday Jeff Mannel prepared a traditional passover table for all of us to take part in. He first gave his message on the meaning behind each item, the salt water, the bitter root, the unleavened bread.
    It was so moving and powerful to watch each Christian then walk up to the table and partake, knowing that God has redeemed each of us from slavery and an empty way of life.

    I hope your time was as encouraging.

    Love you!
    Jeannine Spencer

    ReplyDelete