3/14/10

God's Book of Poems

Last week, I told you that we were able to hear John Ortberg talk about Christians being “God’s workmanship,” making the point that disciples are never mass-produced; they are handcrafted by God, with each of us being uniquely formed. The word for “workmanship” in Ephesians 2 is the Greek poiēma, from which we get the English “poem.”


With this in mind I have asked Sheila to share with you something she blogged about on “My Bucket of Sand.”, following up on these thoughts…
-----
As I reflect upon the fact that all poems are completely original and individual, just as people are, I am encouraged in two ways.
First, it reminds me that I am special to God. He loves me, quirks and all. And as I yield myself to him, he is handcrafting me into the “me” he has prepared me to be.
Second, it reminds me that every person is special to God. Think about another disciple whom you find it difficult to like, maybe one who really gets on your nerves. Now think of a person you genuinely like and are eager to spend time with. Each one is God’s poiēma. Each one is being handcrafted by the God of Creation to be exactly who he or she was born to be.
I know what it feels like to share poems I have written. There is a certain vulnerability, a fear of rejection and a flush of victory in the risk.
As God shares his poems with each of us, every day, in our interactions with others, let’s remember to listen to the heart of the poem, and not to judge its style or delivery. Let’s try to look more through the Poet’s eyes and less through our own.

Psalm 139:1-16
For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.

    O Lord, you have searched me
        and you know me.
    [2] You know when I sit and when I rise;
        you perceive my thoughts from afar.
    [3] You discern my going out and my lying down;
        you are familiar with all my ways.
    [4] Before a word is on my tongue
        you know it completely, O Lord.

    [5] You hem me in--behind and before;
        you have laid your hand upon me.
    [6] Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
        too lofty for me to attain.

    [7] Where can I go from your Spirit?
        Where can I flee from your presence?
    [8] If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
        if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
    [9] If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
        if I settle on the far side of the sea,
    [10] even there your hand will guide me,
        your right hand will hold me fast.

    [11] If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
        and the light become night around me,"
    [12] even the darkness will not be dark to you;
        the night will shine like the day,
        for darkness is as light to you.

    [13] For you created my inmost being;
        you knit me together in my mother's womb.
    [14] I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
        your works are wonderful,
        I know that full well.
    [15] My frame was not hidden from you
        when I was made in the secret place.
    When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
        [16] your eyes saw my unformed body.
    All the days ordained for me
        were written in your book
        before one of them came to be.

   

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tom and Sheila,
    I have not read nor heard the way God made each one of us put as you have done in today's MCM and Sheila's blog. How beautiful and helpful this way of looking at myself and others is! I will try to do better to look at myself and others through Our Father's eyes. Coincidentally, I also believe in my heart of hearts that God has a tremendous sense of humor. At lunch after service yesterday Ginger, in a humorous response on my behalf to another's question regarding my ethnicity, paraphrased Psalm 139:14 in describing me as "fearfully and wonderfully (Asian) made", by which I was greatly encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Tom. I was encouraged and challenged at the same time by your words. Hopefully I am forever changed.

    ReplyDelete