3/21/10

God's Problem?

I heard a distinguished author being interviewed on radio. He stopped believing in God because the Bible didn’t answer his questions about the problem of human suffering.

As I thought about his words, they seemed to raise an interesting question for the author and others. Do we only believe in God if he answers all our questions? What kind of God would he be if we can put him on trial and reserve the right to banish him if we don’t hear from him what satisfies us? Am I missing something or doesn’t giving our conditions to God and saying “I expect you to meet them,” lead to a god who couldn’t possibly be spelled with a capital “G”?

Recently a man told me he wanted my help in overcoming his arrogance. He sees something the famous author seems to be missing. Sure, many of us struggle with the suffering that comes from earthquakes, storms, drought, poverty, disease and the like.

But we have crossed the line from honest questions to arrogant posturing when we say to the Creator we are considering, “You won’t get my trust unless I decide that you have done the right thing.”

I am reminded of Paul’s words in Romans 11:

"Who has known the mind of the Lord?
Or who has been his counselor?"
35"Who has ever given to God,
that God should repay him?"
36For from him and through him and to him are all things.
To him be the glory forever! Amen.

From reading the Book of Psalms I would say God has no problem with our questions. From reading the whole of Scripture I would say he has a big problem with our arrogance.

Focus Scriptures

Job 38:1-7
Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm. He said:
2"Who is this that darkens my counsel
with words without knowledge?
3Brace yourself like a man;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me.

4"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.
5Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
Who stretched a measuring line across it?
6On what were its footings set,
or who laid its cornerstone--
7while the morning stars sang together

Job 42:1-3
42:1Then Job replied to the LORD:
2"I know that you can do all things;
no plan of yours can be thwarted.
3You asked, 'Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?'
Surely I spoke of things I did not understand,
things too wonderful for me to know.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Tom,
    We sure are fond of thinking, when natural disaster strikes, that somehow our governments failed to protect us (which of course, they did because they couldn't), or that the storm was strategically augmented by some military technology. Behind the faithless victimized nature of these thoughts, is the arrogant assertion that man can control the wild surroundings he inhabits ignore the Spirit that sustains his existence.
    Brian Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today as I sit hear worrying about my future as a teacher, having been layed off coming this May, your message this morning rejuvenated me. These passages in Job are some of my favorite. When I struggle with life's everyday issues and question God's love for me, usually when I feel my prayers are long in coming to pass, I can turn to these scriptures and my heart melts. I have no doubt about the power of my Father. Thank you for reminding me this morning that my outcome in life is not how much God does but how much He already did.....I have heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tom for sharing. I needed to hear this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Tom.
    Yes God is so gentle to us as human beings to have allowed us to talk back to him in our arrogance as if we could help him in making decisions.
    Am helped by your thought about Gods problems to us,they are helping me to be humble in the knowledge that God is in control of all things and he knows all thing even the way they will end up like,its save then to trust him to lead us to wards the safe direction for our lives.Thanks so much once again and God bless you.
    your bro. in Christ
    Kavengelo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I question if I'm forgiven of everything and will truly make it to heaven -and then this reminder that I always come back to. God is the judge not me. I will not wait to serve him until my heart question is satisfied. Even if he doesn't accept me in on that day - even then he would be right, for he is a just Judge. And I will not question him but serve him because He deserves to be served, whether I get anything out of it or not. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tom, I have been going through one of those life changing times in my walk with God, my Mom is very ill and I am the prmary caregiver, with two young children and a husbnd to meet the needs of and it has been very challenging at times to say the least. This has been going on for a couple of years now and I started to faulter in my walk just a few months ago, but I have since gotten back on track. But I thank you for reminding all of us of the hugeness of our Father and how he is already in our tomorrows and we cannot forget His absolute authority to be GOD!!

    ReplyDelete