10/6/13

Alone and in Private

For a few weeks we are featuring material from Teach Us to Pray  ©1995 by Discipleship Publications International and edited by Tom and Sheila Jones. This week’s post is excerpted and adapted from a chapter by Kim Strondak who is now a disciple of Jesus in Portland, ME.

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?     (Psalm 42:1-2).
Memories of an early morning prayer walk at Loon Mountain remind me of the power of private prayer.  At 5:00 a.m. I gazed up at the stars and the moon in the cool out-of-doors.  The mountains engulfed me in their majesty as I sat perched on a large boulder, waiting to pray with a sister.  But she didn’t show.  God knew that I needed   time alone with him. 


As I lifted my eyes to the heavens, I started singing hymns to God—one led to another as my heart longed for him to hear my praises and to smile.  As I sang, I meditated on God; his grandeur, displayed by the mountains; his beauty, displayed by the stars and moon; his faithfulness, displayed by the daily rising of the sun; and his love, shown by giving us nature to enjoy.  Truly men are without excuse in seeing God. 

As I continued to pray, I began to cry, thankful to be here but telling God it had been too long since I’d gotten up very early to get out and rejoice in him.  Confessing my sins to God, I asked him to forgive me and cleanse my heart, thankful that Jesus’ blood would continue to purify me. 
What a time I had with God!  What a memory God made with me that morning!  That day God reminded me of the reasons why we need to pray alone and in private.  It is a time we can be completely vulnerable and open with him;  to come in touch with how we really feel.  It is a time when we can sing his praises, dance around, cry, laugh, confess our sins, or blow God kisses and be in love with him and not feel inhibited because someone else is watching. Having personal, focused time alone with God is integral to our spiritual health and growth. 

Prayer from Kim’s mountain time with God:

God, thank you so much.  I feel and see how much you always love me.  Through times like this, through your Word, and through the disciples in your incredible kingdom, your love shines through.  But somehow I want you to feel that love back from ME, God!  I want my actions to show love but I also want my heart to be inside of your heart.  I want you to FEEL my passion for you!  My heart is full with love for you, God!  Can you feel it?  As I look up to your stars and smile and blow you a kiss, I like to think that you are sending a kiss back to me. 

1 comment:

  1. As I read this excerpt early in the morning while it is still dark, cool and beautiful outside, my heart connects to what Kim is writing about. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete