9/29/13

Reasoning with God

For a few weeks we are featuring material from Teach Us to Pray  ©1995 by Discipleship Publications International and edited by Tom and Sheila Jones. This week’s post is excerpted and adapted from a chapter by Randy McKean who now serves as an evangelist and elder in Northern Virginia.

A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me!  My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession. . .” He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to their dogs.”[puppy dogs] “Yes, Lord,” she said, “but even the dogs [wild dogs] eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.”  Then Jesus answered, “Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted” (Matthew 15:21-28).

Reasoning with God in prayer is an expression of great faith and God always rewards faith-especially great faith!  This is one of the two times in the New Testament where Jesus commends a person for having “great faith.”  Certainly the Canaanite woman was persistent but, more than that, she reasoned with Jesus.  Initially, no one listened to her plea.  Then she was told “No” with a short explanation.  Eventually she was told “No” again with a further explanation.  At this point, she began to reason with Jesus which demonstrated a deep belief concerning his ability to heal her daughter.  Jesus did not take offense at this-in fact he was quite impressed!  He appreciated her expression of great faith. 


Remember for a moment the persistent widow of Luke 18:1-8.  She went to the judge every day and did what anyone would do with a judge-she reasoned her case before him.  Each day she must have come with more reasons why he should grant her request.  The implications of this are fantastic.  By reasoning with God, we can actually change his mind! We cannot change the eternal purposes of God nor the eternal truths of God, but we can change his mind on how his purposes will be accomplished. 

True humility is the key to the prayer of reason-we are not telling God what to do as if we knew better-we are expressing our outlook and giving reasons to back up our thinking.  To take the time and put forth the effort of reasoning our heart’s desires and dreams demonstrates how deeply we believe God has the power and the love to act on our requests.


5 comments:

  1. This quiet encouraging and how humbling. The peristent widow come each day with a reason why she has to be granted her plea. Negative responses from the judged did not make her to give her instead the reason to depend more on God. I pray that God will help to be the kind of a person who perists. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me want to become a "Canaanite woman" and a "persistent widow!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going through this right now with my daughter who has brain cancer. I want God and Jesus to heal her right now. I try and be persistent. I think I need to try and reason with Him. I think He wants to have our hearts, minds, souls, and all of our strength. I can't quit asking. I can't quit begging. I can keep calling on God and Jesus and their goodness, compassion and love. That is what appealing to them with reason is I think. My daughter is named Audrey. Please pray for her if any of you reading this is moved in your heart to pray. All Glory be to Jesus. I hope I bring you Glory through my prayers Jesus, just like this woman did so long ago...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anomymous: will pray for Audrey, may God heal her soon! Tom, thank you!!!!
      Awesomereflection on humility behind reasoning..will try AGAIN!

      Delete
  4. To the mother of Audrey, thanks for sharing this with us. Prayed for her his morning.

    ReplyDelete