10/27/13

Prayer: For Boldness and Courage

For a few weeks we are featuring material from Teach Us to Pray  ©1995 by Discipleship Publications International and edited by Tom and Sheila Jones. This week’s post is excerpted and adapted from a chapter by Guillermo Adame who is lead evangelist for the San Diego Church of Christ.

“For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline” (2 Timothy 1:7).

“Wow!  You want me to be on the Bombay mission team?”  Those words went through my head as I tried to remain calm back in July 1986.  Feelings of excitement mixed with uncertainty filled my body.  But it was fear that gripped me.  Why?  God had been preparing me for six years to “go anywhere, do anything."  God had taught me so much about not being fearful and timid.  But this was different!  India was going to turn my whole life upside down.  Everything was going to be new.  New friends, new culture, new country.  I needed to pray.


Fear is powerful.  Most of us have felt its effects, but God can enable us to overcome fear and timidity and live boldly and courageously for him.  Prayer reminds me God is in control, this is God’s kingdom, and this is God’s battle.  I belong to God and God will make me successful.  God will not let us be tempted beyond what we can bear (1 Corinthians 10:13).  Prayer has always been comforting for me because I know that I am never alone.  God is always with me, always watching, always taking care of me.  “Be still and know that I am God.”

God’s work cannot be done in this world without courage.  As disciples, we are going against the grain, upsetting the status quo and calling people to make serious changes.  What we have to say will be rejected more often than welcomed.  Boldness is required.  We won’t evangelize this world without it.  God will make up for whatever deficiency or weakness we have. God will supply the courage and boldness we may lack, if we pray.


1 comment:

  1. Amen Tom. I need to pray for this. It is amazing how God prepares us for the next step.

    ReplyDelete