2/12/12

Talkin' About Heaven

Before his death over a year ago, my dad loaned me a book on heaven. Its thesis is that the Bible tells us a lot more about heaven than most of us realize. It is a bit controversial, but thought provoking.

As I read it, I thought of a line from a Bluegrass gospel tune: “Everybody talkin’ about heaven ain’t goin’ there.” However, a recent poll by the Pew Research group found nearly 70% of Americans believe they are going there. Those results seem to be at odds with Jesus’ statement that the way is narrow and few find it. Sounds like somebody is wrong.

A comment often heard at funerals is something like: “If anybody is going to get to heaven, she will.” The implication is that we get there by doing good. Jesus cast doubt on that idea when he was challenging the rich young ruler. (Luke 18:19).

So who will get there? Who should be encouraged by a book on heaven and look forward to being fully alive in a new heaven and new earth without end? In this short blog post we can’t tackle deep issues, but here is what I can tell you: Only those who are humble will find heaven and absolutely no one will get there who is not humble. Scripture could not be clearer, “God opposes the proud and gives grace to the humble.” Heaven is not for people who are opposed by God.

Do you need to be talkin’ about heaven? Certainly this is a worthy topic to ponder. But I will tell you something we all need to be thinking much more about and that is being humble – from the inside out.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks, Tom (and God), for bringing it down to a simple basic truth that everyone can understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is something so simple so difficult to put into practice? My Jenny always said "dying to self is the most challenging thing you will ever learn Keep on begging God's Holy Spirit for help and mercy. He will be happy to lead you through to less of self and more of Him. Just don't forget He is there for you.'JS
    Thank you, Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Tom for making it so claer and I pray that God will help us to remain humble and close to his words. Do have a great week.
    John Obaje, Warri - Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Tom! It reminds me of a quote by CS Lewis where he says... "If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were precisely those who thought most of the next. It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this."

    ReplyDelete
  5. What was the name of the book on heaven?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Tom, thank you for the reminder. I have been thinking alot about heaven lately. I have been challenged about my JOY level. I am reading a DPI book called Back on Track by Jimmy Allen and it is helping me alot. When I think of heaven it puts a smile on my face and I can be joyful. Hebrews 12:2 for the JOY set before him, Jesus endured the cross.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book I read was HEAVEN by Randy Alcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Tom for your thoughts. Heaven is something Greg & I have thought about & talked about much more in the past few years. We found another book also called "Heaven: A Christian's Journey into Eternity" by Dennis Doughty that I think you would enjoy reading. On March 2 Douglas is doing an even on heaven that we would love to have you come to at North River.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read that book also, definately made me think alot more about heaven, which in the end is the greater purpose. I love the C.S. Lewis quote from earlier. Seems the lesson of humilty is an important one, God keeps reminding me to be humble, through life events, and through thoughts like this. Thanks

    ReplyDelete