2/7/12

Jumpy Judgments

I had seen him quite often, but he was one of the few people in the congregation I was in at the time that I had not reached out to in some way. We had never spoken. I had never heard his voice. The truth is that without knowing him at all, I did something I hope people don't do to me: I judged him. Not in any big way, but just in some decisions made in a nano second to talk with someone else and not him.


But then the Spirit of God did what he does very well-he moved and convicted me through the words in a message. As I left the assembly, there he was, standing all alone. I stopped and said, "We have never talked."

"But, oh, I have heard you speak many times," he replied.

The talk was a good one, not long, but also not short. I learned things about him that I would have never guessed. I found myself engaged in the conversation, looking forward to knowing him better.

Thank you, God, for your patience and forgiveness. After learning so many times not to judge from appearances and not to judge even when appearances seem to be confirmed, I still did it and I still do it.

After riding around in an electric mobility vehicle (otherwise known as a scooter) for 14 years and hoping people won't judge me by my disability, I can still do it to other people. 

O Lord, thank you for your mercy. I am still learning.

Maybe there are some people around you that you, too, need to change your mind about. Any idea who that could be?

Focus scriptures

Matthew 7:2
    For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.



Romans 12:3
    For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.

Romans 12:10
    Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.

James 2:1
    My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism.



2 comments:

  1. Literally 20 minutes before I read this article I had a snap judgement of someone in my BT! I wasnt based on physical appearance, but it was based on circumstances that were not mine to judge. God is amazing and always gives us what we need when we need it...in this case, a good kick in the butt. Reading this article and the focus scriptures really showed me that I do not know the people in my small group as well as I want to and that I need to really go after them more...be the change I want to see. Thank you, God, for your patience and forgiveness. Thank you Tom for allowing God to speak through you! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all your studies and comments. I am from the Springfield IL church and my husband and I visited the Nashville church a week ago and heard you speak. It was tremendous and encouraging. We so admire your desire to keep on keeping on. You are so right about not judging people on looks, etc. Thanks for all you do. Beth Staff

    ReplyDelete