2/26/12

The Gravity of Pride

What is pride? It is almost always an attitude of self-sufficiency and independence (“I can handle this without help” or “I understand my situation better than anyone else”). It is often an attitude of self-righteousness (“I am at least as good as you are, probably better”). It is sometimes an attitude of boastfulness (“Look what I did, and look what this proves I can do”). It is commonly an attitude of superiority (“My intellect is greater, or my accomplishments are greater, or my looks are greater or something about me is greater”). Pride looks down on others. Pride does not listen well. It is stubborn. Pride is not eager to learn because it is confident in what it already knows. Pride is not quick to admit wrong because it fears it may look bad or lose its position. Pride is competitive and is easily threatened. Pride is insecure. Pride finds it hard to rejoice in the success of others.
        The truth is, we are all prideful souls in one way or another. In different personalities, pride shows itself in different ways, but it is in us all. People are sometimes fooled because their pride may not be the “in your face,” arrogant type, but if they do not have a deep humility before God and before people, pride is hiding somewhere in the folds of the personality, and spiritual victory cannot be gained until the pride is revealed and put to death.
        Our biggest problem, however, is not found in admitting we have pride. Our biggest problem lies in taking it seriously. When we see the gravity of it, we have taken a big step to overcoming it

3 comments:

  1. This IS so foundational for our spiritual lives, I know. Thanks, Tom, for the reminder (again) for a concept that's too important not to repeat many times! I NEED to keep it in front of me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This ties in beautifully to your msg. a few weeks ago about humility. Having the humility of a child is the only way to enter heaven! God is amazing in how forgiving he is towards our pride. Help us Lord to be like children, always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard to excel in humility, but we must love and and live it. It will do well to sour souls and to all those around us.

      Delete