11/20/11

Father of the Bride

Note:  We have not been able to eliminate unwanted links that are appearing in our articles without our permission. We advise you not to use them. We will get back to work correcting this problem.

Today, November 20, was a special one. Many in my family will write it on their calendars or store it in their computers. Today our second daughter was married to a man of character, heart and faith.


In the last ten years no one has seen me walk 60 feet, even with a walker, and I had not planned to try it today. But when I came into the Loveless Barn in Nashville and saw that I aisle, the adrenaline must have shot up and the Spirit moved, because I decided to walk (using the walker) my Bethany down that aisle to meet her man. I felt the great crowd of witnesses cheering me on and with Bethany's encouragement and the prayers of my new son-in-law's father, I made it. And it was worth it!!

Earlier today, I sat here at this computer and typed out a few words of advice for Bethany and Adam to take along on their honeymoon, even though they may not need some of it for a while. Let me share with you what I wrote:

  1. Be each other’s best fans.
  2. Pray together regularly.
  3. Oil the hinges every day, doing little kind things, saying lots of “thank you’s” and “I love you’s” and words like “I appreciate this about you."
  4. Number 3 above is also called “filling each other’s emotional bank accounts.” Find out each other’s love languages and make many deposits. You will need them for the challenging times when it comes times to “write some checks.”
  5. When you are feeling unhappy with the other person, stop and list all their positive qualities.
  6. In the middle of a bump when you feel stuck, STOP and pray together—right in the middle of it! One of you will need to say “I think we need to pray.”  It will change everything.
  7.  Seek first the Kingdom…together. Pray “OUR Father, your kingdom come, YOUR will be done in our lives right now as it is in heaven.”
  8. Stay humble. Stay humble. Did I say “Stay humble?”  Quirky singer/songwriter Roger Miller wrote “Pride is the chief cause of the decline of the number of husbands and wives.” God gives grace to the humble and in marriage we need lots of grace.
  9. Ask for help. Let others into your marriage. You will not always be able to see yourselves accurately.
  10. Smile, laugh, have fun, even if you don’t have funds. Keep on the sunny side.
 With much love, Dad 

11 comments:

  1. Hi Tom,
    Thanks for sharing the advice that you gave Adam and Bethany to take with them on their honeymoon and forward on into their lives together. It is great advice for any married couple to put into practice whether married one day or 3 decades or longer! My husband and I have been facilitating a marriage discipleship group for the past seven weeks based on Sam and Geri Laing's "Essential 8." We are coming up on our last week for the group to meet doing the series and I plan to share your message to Adam and Bethany with the group. Thanks for the words of Wisdom and for sharing about the special day for your families! We treasure Bethany and Adam here in the DFW church, they are precious gems! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It truly was amazing to watch you walk down the aisle with Bethany. Tim and I had tears in our eyes. We are so happy for such a wonderful day for your family. Thank you for sharing your marital advice, words that have encouraged and challenged us in our 28 years. We love you and Sheila. jeannine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dad! Thanks for sharing the advice you gave Bethany and Adam. Good stuff! And as for walking down the aisle, that was amazing. It doubled my emotion. Very special. Love you, Dad! - Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jeannine, I have added the picture you sent. Thanks so much for making the trip from St. Louis to be with your other family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing moment for you all!! Congratulations to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Tom, thank you for sharing. It was wonderful to see you in the picture and walking! What a special day, God is so good. Thanks for sharing the advice for marriage. Still hoping my special day will come someday. I have such great thoughts of you and Sheila in Mass. love you both,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulation!
    Thank you Tom for your heart and Faith!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Tom (and family)! Thank you for the 10 reminders to keep my marriage strong. I am going to call my wife now to tell her I love her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful picture! Bethany looks gorgeous!What a beautiful daughter! Congradulations!!!Ps.108:4 For great is your love, higher than the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies. Kelly Leonard

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Tom! And thanks for the advices...

    Arvin S.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to Bethany & Adam and you & Sheila! A wonderful family! I just cried when I read it...much love to all!!

    ReplyDelete