11/13/11

Give Anyway

Note: the links in this piece are not from the author, but from some other source. We advise you not to use them. We are working on correcting this problem.


I once spoke with someone going through something very difficult. I asked him how he wanted to handle a certain change that challenging circumstances had dictated. “As painlessly as possible,” he said. “I’ve been through enough.”

This person has lived a life of giving to others, but in that comment he revealed the weakness we all have in the face of strong natural feelings. His pain was causing him to feel a bit like a victim—a victim who had suffered enough.


Like Job, he had run a good race but was becoming weary in the battle. Like Job, he may have been thinking, “This doesn’t seem fair.” Knowing this person as I do, I was confident he would not stay at that point. I knew he would read Scripture,  pray, and not stop giving; but his words reminded me that the pull toward self is extremely strong.

I don’t know anyone who does not face such temptations. How often I have struggled with thinking that I should not have to give or serve because of my own limitations.

Some of you are reading this because you are going through something that is as tough as anything you have ever faced. There is a powerful temptation to think primarily about yourself and to excuse yourself from your responsibility to others.

But we must change our minds. We must realize that nothing helps us to overcome any more than the deliberate decision to love others and give to them whatever we have to give.

              
Focus Scriptures

2 Corinthians 1:3-7
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, [4] who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. [5] For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. [6] If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. [7] And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.

Galatians 6:9
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

Philippians 4:12-13
               I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. [13] I can do everything through him who gives me strength. 

6 comments:

  1. I don't know that "I've had enough" equates to feeling like a victim. He was honest about his feelings and perhaps was even mourning in a sense. This is a time to draw near and help someone to feel the love and grace of God, rather than the disappointment or discouragement, not saddle them with a label. To be real, we need to be able to acknowledge exactly where we are as human beings. He should not have denied how he felt but it is essential that we cling to biblical truths as in Gal 6:9 and Phil 4:12 -13. Thought provoking. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This mind change moment reminds me when Jesus said if it is possible let this cup (of suffering) pass from me, but not as I will but as you will Father. I'm glad that Jesus pushed through because indeed he did reap a harvest as it says in Gal 6:9.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have struggled with those same feelings of "I have had enough God." Ultimately, I do change and understand that enough for me is always at the point where I feel like I have nothing else to give. I know that Jesus understands and the God will give me the strength to test my boundaries a little more. It isn't always comfortable, but HE always provides the strength, courage, and endurance that I need for the task at hand.

    We all need to feel comfortable enough in our walk and in our relationship to say I just want to give up. It doesn't mean that we will, however, it is our truth for that moment.

    Charice

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great lesson! I agree that we need to know and acknowledge where we are in our struggles but if we are discouraged and feel like giving in to despair, we must realize we cannot stay at that place. We must dig in to the Scriptures and get our attitude straight. Our feelings are our feelings, but our attitude we can change. I recently had a tumor removed from my pituitary gland and the surgery went well, but the recovery was much more unpleasant and complicated than I had expected. I have to believe that I am sharing in Christ's sufferings and that He will bring me through this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom, I was so tired this afternoon. I often think of Jesus saying to his tired disciples "The spirit is willing but the body is weak". Truly the challenge is to continue to give, to love, and to preserver. God always comes through, we can never out give God. May our eyes and our hearts look towards Him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You never know when satan will throw you an impossible impasse , I am facing one right now and yes very painful!I appreciate your heart to encourage us to trust God and to not give up.And pray our relationships can be full of Gods comfort and love.And what seems impossible to us will be possible through him.

    ReplyDelete