11/22/09

My Wife's Bucket

When you hear the title “My Wife’s Bucket,” you might guess that this is about all the things I have done wrong in our marriage, but you would be wrong. No, Sheila’s new book, My Bucket of Sand, has just been released, and I want to weigh in and say a few things.

Over the years I have heard Sheila share many of these stories, thoughts, and analogies in different contexts and have seen their impact on so many people. I cannot count the times when I was leading a group using my carefully prepared thoughts, when Sheila would think of an analogy or an image to share with the people to illustrate the point. Then in the discussion that would follow, what I would hear more than anything would be, “Like Sheila said.” Sometimes it’s a little hard on the ego, but that is what we want—to die to our pride. Right? God has given her a gift of taking the everyday things that happen to us and using them to illustrate vital spiritual truths.


If you read My Bucket of Sand, I have a feeling you will go away thinking this is more a bag of jewels. You will find images she gives sticking with you long after you have forgotten a carefully organized sermon. Now, don’t misunderstand me; there is a place for those. Sheila knows Scripture and understands the importance of careful teaching, and does that herself, but this book showcases her ability to bring a vital truth to down to earth and catch it in a memorable image or analogy.


Next week, I want her to sit at this microphone and share with you her short chapter on “Freeze-Frame.” You may never take another picture without thinking about it. So come back after our Thanksgiving weekend in the U.S. and hear one of her special thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment