11/1/09

Advice for the Overwhelmed

Some time ago a person seeking help shared with me feelings he routinely has when under stress. As needs pile up, he usually feels overwhelmed and almost paralyzed by thoughts that there is no way he can handle all that is on his plate. He is a hard-working, industrious person who cares for a lot of people, but inside, in those moments, there is a strong desire to run away and avoid the pressure.


Just in case there are some others of you who have times like this, let me tell you what I suggested.


First, recognize quickly when such feelings start coming on so you can respond appropriately.


Second, right in the middle of all those feelings, stop everything and pray. That was something this person had not been doing, but we should try nothing else until we have laid the facts and the feelings all before God.


Third, make a list of those things that seem so overwhelming. Prioritize them. This helps us look at manageable pieces instead of just feeling this ominous ill-defined cloud over us.


Fourth, talk over a plan with a friend and get his or her perspective. This brings wisdom. Plus not feeling alone makes a big difference.


Finally, break out of the paralysis by beginning to work through your list, praying as you go.


An overwhelming surge of needs can emotionally produce in us a desire to escape. But, by the grace of God, we can choose to see it as an opportunity—an opportunity to turn again to God, an opportunity to be humble and get help from others, an opportunity for our character to mature. That choice is an act of trust that reverses a negative cycle.

Focus Scripture

Psalm 31:10-15

My life is consumed by anguish
and my years by groaning;
my strength fails because of my affliction,
and my bones grow weak.

11Because of all my enemies,
I am the utter contempt of my neighbors;
I am a dread to my friends--
those who see me on the street flee from me.

12I am forgotten by them as though I were dead;
I have become like broken pottery.
13For I hear the slander of many;
there is terror on every side;
they conspire against me
and plot to take my life.

14But I trust in you, O LORD;
I say, "You are my God."
15My times are in your hands;
deliver me from my enemies
and from those who pursue me.

7 comments:

  1. Wow....read my mind! As a choir and drama teacher with so many performances coming up as well as bible studies, church music, etc... I am very tempted to feel overwhelmed. Thank you for the tip about getting others to help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list of "to do's" during stress and overload (anytime, really). When I talk with my Heavenly Father about these things, He always clears my mind and helps develop the focus I need. He also has a way of showing me where I might be wasting time (time that can be more productive).

    More than anything I believe God's Spirit will provide wisdom in the choices I make, if I pray about it and seek advice. On my own, my limitations are obvious and many, but with God things beyond my imagination can be accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so appreciate this! I have felt overwhelmed many a times and your insights and advice on how to handle it seems very wise. I sure will apply these helpful tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Tom. My first response to your MCM was, "Tom is describing me to a 'T'!" In my account of my recent life challenges to various people closest to me, I've used the words paralyzed and feeling "pressed on every side". I do consider myself a hard-working, industrious person, so it really makes me struggle when I don't overcome my challenges by my own strength (foolishness I know).

    Only when I value how supreme God is in my life and go to him (sometimes in hours of meditation and in crying out to him about everything on my heart), do I find that sense of peace and acceptance for which I yearn.

    Even as I am still in the middle of my current challenges, I know that the ineffable strength that I have to face them comes only from God. Thank you for the sage practicals you've given as well.

    P.S. I know my pride is my biggest obstacle in letting God work in my life so one of the ways I'm helping myself in this area is by reading a very helpful book on the topic entitled, "The Prideful Soul's Guide to Humility". Maybe you've heard of it. ;-)

    All The Best,
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very relavant topic to discuss for sure. As I continue to fight cancer each day, it is easy to feel overwhelmed and anxious, especially when I realize that I am not trusting God, that He is in control of my life. The right answer is always to go back to God and get my perspective reset and see things through God's eyes.

    Thanks for sharing this with me.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the insight, I can relate as well, and am happy I noticed this article today!!!Helps me to hold on for one more day. Kelly Leonard

    ReplyDelete