3/17/13

Life through Death


This week we are reprinting an excerpt from a chapter by Gordon Ferguson in Thirty Days at the Foot of the Cross.
  
"Jesus replied, "The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified.  I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.  The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life" (John 12:23-25).

We human beings are our own worst enemies.  We want control.  We want our own judgment, our opinions, our desires, our power!  We refuse to deny self daily and stay surrendered.  Therefore, failure and frustration creep in once more. 


Much of this frustration and anger is actually directed at God, even though we may not realize it.  We may blame him for not answering our prayers in the way we think he should.  Truthfully, our prayers are often little more than requests for God to rubber-stamp our selfish desires.  We commonly have far more self in our religion than we think.

Surrender, or death to self, is an emotional break with self in control.  We become willing to yield our lives, our health, our family, our finances, our future and our plans totally to him.  We are willing to accept what we need rather than stubbornly to insist on what we want. 


In essence, we allow God to be God in our daily lives.  Amazingly, real life follows as a great calmness pervades our entire being, otherwise known as the "peace which passes understanding" (Philippians 4:7).  True meaning and purpose come into focus, and productivity begins.  Crucifixion gives way to resurrection!      

8 comments:

  1. Thank you Tom! You're AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tom, Isn't is amazing how your messages seem to fall in line with what I am facing at a particular time? In light of what is going on in my life, and the words you have sent out today about surrender, I CAN be condfident of God's great works, plan and mostly love. I am focusing on the 'break with self' today to face the troubles on the horizon. God bless you and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God's timing is always perfect! This past week the subject of surrender to God has come up in conversations I've had with friends and strangers on several occasions. I am learning to let go of everything and surrender them to God. Praise Him that I am experiencing the "peace which passes understanding" that comes from this. Thank you for this MCM from Gordon's devotional!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's amazing to me now (after 20 years of praying for my family) that God is faithful and His answers are sometimes given through hard times...we are facing more cancer, more surgery with my husband's mom tomorrow. yesterday, my faith was low and I started feeling sorry for myself(emotional)...more sickness to face...but this puts it into perspective.God's ways are definitly not my ways! I would make this much easier....keep reminding me that His way of surrender is not easy; but perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this reminder. I am seeing more & more the need to remember God's promises and power as the years tick by. Without faith in God, the call to deny myself is impossible for me, but remembering God's promises and his power to fulfill them gives me hope & excitement to see what he has in store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara Grant-BennettMarch 20, 2013 at 2:20 AM

    Surrendering to God's will and having confidence in His power, knowing unequivocally that He will deliver, strengthen and guide us through any given situation fills me with awe and a sense of contentment. His ways are not our ways and His ways are just.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Tom, being surrendered is really hard at times. I feel at certain times I am surrendered and then out of left field I get clobbered by a hardball and get knocked silly. It is then I realize that I am not surrendered at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen and Amen again!! I am reading this today, and not when it orginally came to my inbox, but SO needed at this time. Powerful words/wisdom from Gordon, and a scripture that needs memorization for this control-hungry disciple.

    ReplyDelete