2/3/13

The Power of (Faithful) Thoughts


Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable¾if anything is excellent or praiseworthy¾think about such things.  Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me¾put it into practice.  And the God of peace will be with you (Philippians 4:8-9).

What kind of day did you have yesterday?  What kind of week have you had?  In what direction is your thinking tending to go?  Are you feeling positive and upbeat or negative and discouraged?  Ready to take on the world or head back to bed?  Paul’s message to you is this:  when you are “in the Lord” (back to vs. 4), you can always change your mind, and when you change your mind, everything changes.  If life is feeling like a heavy weight, if problems are threatening to overwhelm you, if the forecast offers little hope of sunshine, you can still set your mind on right and good things that will change the way you feel.

The Bible’s writers are not hopeful about the world’s prospects.  On this earth things will not get permanently better.  When Jesus looks ahead, he sees “the increase of wickedness” (Matthew 24:12) not a great new world order.  But while pessimistic about the world’s chances, the Bible is totally optimistic about the future of God, the security of the kingdom and the plan for his people.  When we set our minds on these things, we can rejoice even though the world is a mess, even though our circumstances are challenging, and even though our dreams haven’t yet come true.

Will such right thinking anesthetize us?  Will it lift us up above the pain so that we will feel none of it?  Not at all.  Disciples of Jesus aren’t going to escape pain.  That was never in the plan.  But right thinking focused on the truth of God will keep Christians doing the will of God whatever is going on circumstantially or emotionally.  Jesus summarized it: “In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).

7 comments:

  1. again...a challenging day....is everyone else dealing with tough days too....surely it is not just me! Mom is in the hospital; had to call the ambulance to get her there yesterday; juggling the children's school schedule and trying to help my mom in the hospital....I'm grabbing my copy of "to Live as Christ" and taking it with me! I need "Jesus's brain" right now! Thanks for this one today...much love, Brenda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brenda. It has not been a "fun" week for me either. New MS symptoms always tempt me to focus on the problems. Paul's words guided me yesterday to do some blessing counting. Good to do. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks I've been struggling big time with my left foot not healing the right foot one minus a toe is heald now the same bacteria is attacking the other foot to say the least I've been very discourage and hanging onto Dad by a finger this is just what I need to remember thanks for the Spirit lift in my Prayers Cathy g

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom,

    Very good - spot on. And your point that this type of faithful thinking will not allow us to be out of touch with pain is well said. I am always trying to think "both ways" - realistic and yet faithful. Thank you for putting it so well.
    I love and appreciate you always.
    YBIC,

    Greg Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the insight. I cannot let go of something that is bothering me. I need a mind change. thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for these regular messages. This let me feel good in a time of emotional disturbances.

    Katharina from Austria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom, this was a great lesson that I shared today with a dear sister in the hospital waiting for heart surgery. She has been anxious because she is "at risk" and they keep postponing it. We spent some great time today and she was more at ease. We shared this lesson also with a nurse who is going though husband problems.

    ReplyDelete