2/24/13

Nothing Will Stop Him from Loving


"But God demonstrated his love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).

We don't feel good at all when we know we are unloved.  We don't feel much better when we aren't sure if we are loved. But what a difference it makes when we absolutely know that we are loved--when there has been a demonstration that proves it.

However, if we know we are loved because of our looks or our money or our performance, an insecurity lies just below the surface of those good feelings.  As good as it feels to be loved, we know we could lose it if accident, illness, bankruptcy or failure were to rob us of those things that endear us to others.


When we stand at the foot of the cross and behold the love of God, we see how unbelievably unconditional his love is.  You can lose your health, your possessions, even your reputation and God's love for you will not be affected in the slightest.  You can slip, sin or fail but if there were a seismograph that measured the smallest changes in love, the needle would not even quiver.  While we were sinners--in the worst of shape--God demonstrated his love for us at the cross.

None of this is a testimony to God's softness on sin.  No one--absolutely no one--is tougher on sin than God.  It is, however, a testimony to how wide and long and high and deep the love of God is (Ephesians 3:18).  It is a mystery of incredible proportions that God who so hates sin could so unconditionally love sinners. But this is what the cross demonstrates. This is what the cross makes clear.  This what the cross establishes, confirms and proves.  There is a God; he is love; his love is unconditional. Nothing we can do or fail to do will stop him from loving us.

(Excerpted from Thirty Days at the Foot of the Cross)

6 comments:

  1. I need to drink this in and pass it on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It is a mystery of incredible proportions that God who so hates sin could so unconditionally love sinners." Sin hurts us; that's why he hates it so--it's BECAUSE of how much he loves us. I used to wonder why it was such a challenge for me to love sinners while hating sin, but now I realize it's because I don't see all the hurt it causes. So to love sinners more, I need to learn to hate sin MORE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I needed to hear that again. God hates sin because it hurts us. If I can see that more clearly in my life and the lives of others, I will be able to love them and hate sin, more like God does.

      Delete
  3. Wow, Thank you for this verse. God's love is something that is really hard for me to believe. All my years as a disciple, I wrestle with believing that he loves me. I know in my mind that God loves me, but to accept it and believe it is harder for me to do. However; after reading this, it dawned on me that maybe that is the problem, I am believing in the lie. That I can lose God's love if I did not perform well.I believed that when I sinned,did not read my bible, pray or share my faith, that God will not love me as much. This is something that is deeply rooted in my mind and heart. So thank you so much for sharing this scripture. It allows me to start somewhere and begin a journey of believing in God's love for me.:0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have felt that I lose God's love if I don't perform in a certain way (daily prayer, bible study, sharing my faith, etc.) Although these are things that God wants me to do, I have to allow the Holy Spirit to work on my heart and not believe the lies of the evil one. I am a work in progress everyday. Thanks Tom.

      Delete