12/30/12

To Live Is to Give



If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me.  Yet what shall I choose?  I do not know!  I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.  Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me (Philippians 1:22-26).

Paul had no desire simply to remain with the disciples.  He wanted to continue with them.  The Greek word translated “continue” means “to wait beside a person to be ready to help and to help all the time.”*   It is one thing to just “stick around” with someone because it is not yet time to leave.  It is quite another thing to commit your time, energy and life to them. 

For Paul to live was Christ, to live was to give himself to others for their spiritual progress and their deep joy.  Whatever the cost of their growth, he would pay it.  Would it mean being patient with someone who was weak?  He would pay the cost.  Would some take advantage of his humility?  He would pay the cost.  Would he have to wade into sticky, uncomfortable issues as families were brought back together in Jesus?  He would pay the cost. 

Paul could pay the high cost of continuing with others for their growth because Jesus had paid the highest cost for him.  The more he took on the heart of God, the more he found joy where God found it—in giving to others.  And God shows no favoritism.  The same Holy Spirit and the same inner fountain of joy experienced by Paul are still available to us as we commit ourselves to others for their progress and joy. 

2 comments:

  1. hi Tom. Thanks for the lesson. I have been reflecting today on the past year what I can change in grow in and what my church can change and grow in. This is high on the list. To be better givers, in time, love, heart, humility towards others, in the community. Thanks Tom this is a good lesson for us all. Happy New Year to you Sheila and the family.

    ReplyDelete