1/1/12

Hope for the Simple


In Psalm 116:6, the psalmist writes:

The Lord preserves the simple;
I was brought low, and He saved me. (NASB)

Life can be very challenging and I can wonder sometimes if I am up for it.  Actually “sometimes” is not the best word. If I look back at things I have felt over the years or read through some old prayer journals, the word “often” is probably a lot more accurate.

Before our first child was born, I remember standing by her bed that was all ready for her appearance and praying, “Lord, I am not sure I am ready for this.” Thoughts like that I have come to me in a variety of situations, both before and after.

But I find great encouragement in this verse from Psalm 116. “The Lord preserves [or protects] the simple.” Most of us don’t like to be called “simple.” The Hebrew word used here is not one that was flattering. It describes those who need a lot of help.

But, hey, that’s me, and Scripture says that the Lord preserves or protects people like that. Read the whole Psalm. You will find that the writer was one who felt overcome by life, with eyes full of tears and feet that were stumbling. He did not feel like your “sharp all-together guy.” But also pay attention to the tone of the Psalm. The writer was humble and grateful.

That is the key. If we are humble enough to admit our “simpleness,” we can claim the promise that God will be faithful in our lives, and in this case “simple” will mean “saved.”

Focus Scripture

Psalm 116

 1 I love the LORD, for he heard my voice;
   he heard my cry for mercy.
2 Because he turned his ear to me,
   I will call on him as long as I live.
 3 The cords of death entangled me,
   the anguish of the grave came over me;
   I was overcome by distress and sorrow.
4 Then I called on the name of the LORD:
   “LORD, save me!”

 5 The LORD is gracious and righteous;
   our God is full of compassion.
6 The LORD protects the unwary;
   when I was brought low, he saved me.

 7 Return to your rest, my soul,
   for the LORD has been good to you.

 8 For you, LORD, have delivered me from death,
   my eyes from tears,
   my feet from stumbling,
9 that I may walk before the LORD
   in the land of the living.

 10 I trusted in the LORD when I said,
   “I am greatly afflicted”;
11 in my alarm I said,
   “Everyone is a liar.”

 12 What shall I return to the LORD
   for all his goodness to me?

 13 I will lift up the cup of salvation
   and call on the name of the LORD.
14 I will fulfill my vows to the LORD
   in the presence of all his people.

 15 Precious in the sight of the LORD
   is the death of his faithful servants.
16 Truly I am your servant, LORD;
   I serve you just as my mother did;
   you have freed me from my chains.

 17 I will sacrifice a thank offering to you
   and call on the name of the LORD.
18 I will fulfill my vows to the LORD
   in the presence of all his people,
19 in the courts of the house of the LORD—
   in your midst, Jerusalem.

   Praise the LORD.[a]

7 comments:

  1. Good morning and Happy New Year. What a blessing this is to me this morning. I have been overcome with a certain sadness, for lack of a batter word, with my life and myself. As much as I am trying to condition my mind and heart to move forward, I am in the same place I was in. This helpe me to know that it is okay and that I will be okay. Thank you sir!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Tom! Thank you for taking us back to the essence of our posture before God, humility i.e. "simpleness". How precious a blessing to be humble and thus see God for the majestic Father that he is to us. I wish you a joyous 2012.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the always encouraging and thought provoking reminders. I look forward to another year of heart checks from you.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appreciate so much the many ways God has used you through the years to continually remind us that GOD IS ENOUGH, even/ especially when we FEEL so inadequate! Great post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurray for God's perspective. A warning and blessing to protect our very souls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to all of you for your responses.I put this on my Twitter today: Sometimes I read, "God is really working in ___." Great to see this, but remember when we see nothing, God is still working. (John 5:17).

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you Tom for your love. You are a blessing to us.

    ReplyDelete