1/15/12

God Does Not Tire of Us

Those of you who have listened very long to this Web cast or read my book, Mind Change, know that I find in the Old Testament Psalms some of my greatest encouragement and inspiration. I decided a year or two ago to read one psalm each day and make some notes as I went along.

One of the things that strike you as you go consistently through this wisdom literature is how often David or the other psalmists say things like “Hasten, O God, to save me. O Lord, come quickly to help me” (Psalm 70:1). Close to fifty times the psalmists implore God to give “help” using that specific word.

As I read the prayers and cries of these men that God thought enough of to want to preserve their writings for us, I am encouraged. I am encouraged to see that I am not alone in feeling that life is too much for me to handle. I am not alone in often feeling that I need a lot of help.

But there is another more important reason that I am encouraged. I can sometimes wonder if God grows weary of hearing me asking for his help again and again. After all, how would a friend feel if I came to him this often with requests? But the fact that the Holy Spirit wanted us to have the Psalms reminds me that God absolutely does not tire of our cry for help. The book of Revelation says our prayers, and that would include these for help, come up to God like sweet smelling incense. Be amazed. Be encouraged, and be helped. God does not tire of us in our need.

Focus Scriptures
Psalm 70:1-5
For the director of music. Of David. A petition.
    Hasten, O God, to save me;
        O Lord, come quickly to help me.
    [2] May those who seek my life
        be put to shame and confusion;
    may all who desire my ruin
        be turned back in disgrace.
    [3] May those who say to me, "Aha! Aha!"
        turn back because of their shame.
    [4] But may all who seek you
        rejoice and be glad in you;
    may those who love your salvation always say,
        "Let God be exalted!"
    [5] Yet I am poor and needy;
        come quickly to me, O God.
    You are my help and my deliverer;
        O Lord, do not delay.

Psalm 18:6
    In my distress I called to the Lord;
        I cried to my God for help.
    From his temple he heard my voice;
        my cry came before him, into his ears.


Psalm 88:13
    But I cry to you for help, O Lord;
        in the morning my prayer comes before you.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! Just recently, I realized that huge portions of my prayers were made up of "please help me!". I was telling God that I just wasn't sure what He thought about that. I was encouraged a bit when I learned that term, "unfailing"(related to God's unfailing love) includes the definitions "untiring" and "inexhaustible". Then, when I opened my email this morning and read this post, it seemed like He was making sure I knew how He felt about all of my pleas! I love moments like that...when it seems like God is speaking directly to our hearts! Thank you again for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Jan, thanks for sharing your thoughts. God is so good. He loves hearing from his children.
    Tom, thank you so much for sharing these moments you have with us. You are a true hero in the faith to me. Keep persevering and sharing your so much like Jesus in that.
    Thank God for the Psalms. Help us O' Lord.

    ReplyDelete