9/25/11

See God in Circumstances

See God in Circumstances


I don’t always like my circumstances. But I am learning that God would not allow them if they were not opportunities for me to do something more important than I would have been doing without them.

What looks to me like something that is hindering the work of God (like Paul’s thorn in the flesh) is often a vehicle God plans to use for one of his patented surprise attacks. Change your mind about circumstances.

           
Don’t think: “This is terrible.”      Think: ”This is terribly important.”

Don’t think: “This is awful.”        Think: ”This is an awfully interesting challenge.”

Don’t think:  “Why did God allow this bad thing? Think: “What is God going to do with this bad thing?          

You may read what I have written and say: “My mind doesn’t change easily.” My question for you is how much do you want to be an overcomer? How persistent are you willing to be?

You may say, “My problem is that I change my mind, but then it changes back. I can’t get it to stay put on the right things.” I can relate to that one. Several years ago I told several friends that I must have a Teflon mind because nothing seemed to stick to it.

But you see, even that very circumstance is allowed by God. Circumstances will reveal how much you want to find God’s thinking and how persistent you are willing to be to hold on to it.

Focus Scriptures

Genesis 50:18-20
    His brothers then came and threw themselves down before him. "We are your slaves," they said.
    But Joseph said to them, "Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? [20] You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.

Romans 8:28
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

2 Cor. 1:3-5
    Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.




8 comments:

  1. Exactly what I needed today! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is most difficult to do when someone you love is going through something you don't think they should be having to go through. My mom, who was a disciple, was struck with two cancers at the same time. In my mind she had already lived a difficult enough life, why did she have to endure this as well. But I came to understand that this was her test of faith and I also had to trust that God has his reasoning and He knows better than I do. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tom, for posting this! I have been whiny about the challenges of work, and personal financial challenges. I have been working on this in my character. I want to stop complaining and react with trust. No sooner than I made this decision did God add to my responsibilities at work--I understand that He has a plan in all this and I need to seek His mind and heart. I want to understand what Jesus would be like as an employer and an employee. I know Jesus would not whine and complain, so I will not whine any longer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been battling debilitating migraines (are there any other kind?) for 20 years. I have cried out to God to take them away. I have tried every remedy under the sun (except a new botox therapy :0)). When I am in my deep pain and crying out...I hear God saying the very things that you wrote about today. I accept it for a min. and then say "no, you say if I ask in faith you will answer". You may be thinking, he is answering and the answer is "no". So I say "fine" and reflect on all that I have learned and how God HAS used this thorn of mine. Paul's thorn was given to him to keep him from becoming conceited. Haha, I must have a high capability of the same. I am still trying to accept/understand that God's grace is sufficient. I will persevere. Thank you God for keeping me dependent on you. You are my strength!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom, when monday morning rolls around and it seems to do that every week : ) Circumstances confront me that I am not ready to deal with. Its nice to know that these circumstances are terribly important to God to work his will and not mine. Thanks for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am amazed at how today's thought applies exactly to my circumstance. Just an hour ago I was talking to a sister about this very thing. Thank you for pointing out the "correct angle" from which to view my circumstance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What meaningful scripture in 2 Corinthians 1: 3-5! When we are empty and far away from God, we cannot comfort those who need comforting. But if we open ourselves to the suffering of Christ, we are fully comforted no matter what challenges come our way and are then able to give the comfort to those in greatest need! Thank you for your thoughts and scripture today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am battling to accept a bad event that happened to my child 8 years ago that I caused (although unintentional). The downward spiral from that time onward brings on the guilt and it's hard to see God's plan in it. Prayerfully, time will make it clear. Thanks for reminding me that God allowed the circumstances even if He didn't make it happen.

    ReplyDelete