9/1/10

How Do You Feel About the Priesthood?


Imagine that you are a first century Jew looking forward to the coming of the Kingdom of God. You believe that when it comes the mighty Roman army will be driven out. How would you feel if you were told that what is coming will not be a kingdom of warriors and freedom fighters, but a kingdom of priests? You know we really don’t have to guess.
Peter was such a first-century Jew and like everyone else, he was looking for the Kingdom of God. When Jesus told him in so many words that he (Jesus) was going to be like a great high priest who would go to Jerusalem and laid down his life as the sacrifice, Peter rebuked him for saying such foolishness.
If you are going to study the Kingdom of God with us, you are going to have to get used to the idea that the message of the Kingdom is foolishness to man in his worldly wisdom. Who in his right mind could think that the meek are going to inherit the earth? Peter sure didn’t.
“Get behind me, Satan,” Jesus said to Peter, “You don’t have in mind the things of God but the things of men.” Through the centuries people looking for the coming of God’s kingdom, people like you and me, have been wrong in most of their thinking about it.
In the first chapter of our forthcoming book on the Kingdom, Steve and I address an issue that gets scant attention. Yahweh, Israel’s God, makes it clear early on in Scripture, in the book of Exodus, that what he wants is a kingdom of priests, not a kingdom of warriors. Years later Isaiah comes along and repeats that idea several times, and Jesus shows a grasp of it in his words about going to Jerusalem to die.
But then, low and behold, before the New Testament ends, you won’t believe who’s talking about it again. Yes, that’s right—Peter—and he says “You are a chosen people, royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God.” The word for “royal” in “royal priesthood” is a form of the word for kingdom. As citizens of God’s holy nation, as citizens of heaven, God’s people are not going to attack the world with bravado, but minister to the world and sacrifice for the world as a kingdom of priests. The tough old fisherman had experienced a major mind change. To be kingdom people today, we must do the same.

Scriptures

Exodus 19:3-6
Then Moses went up to God, and the Lord called to him from the mountain and said, “This is what you are to say to the house of Jacob and what you are to tell the people of Israel: ‘You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself. Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites.” (emphasis added)

Isaiah 61:5–6
They will rebuild the ancient ruins
and restore the places long devastated;
they will renew the ruined cities
that have been devastated for generations.
Aliens will shepherd your flocks;
foreigners will work your fields and vineyards.
And you will be called priests of the Lord,
you will be named ministers of our God.
You will feed on the wealth of nations,
and in their riches you will boast. (emphasis added)
1 Peter 2:9-12
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 10Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
11Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. 12Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.







3 comments:

  1. Tom, I'm so looking forward to reading your and Steve's book and getting the whole picture of the Kingdom of God! It will be like sitting at your feet back in college. :)

    Love in Him,
    Jeannine Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom and Steve,

    We are excited to have this study over the next few weeks. We are also excited and encouraged about your new book! We pray for many copies to be spread all over the world and hope it will have the exact impact God desires.

    We love you guys and thanks so much!
    Henry and Janice Kittrell

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this today and realized how cool God is. I was somewhat frantic and distracted about my quiet time and was just browsing through different things online; sort of preparing for my QT. Little did I know that God would help me to see that He can use anything to teach me what I need to learn. In this case I think I needed to learn that I need to "throw off the things that are hindering me" from seeing the benefits of the light into which God has called me. I had to ask myself "why does one declare God's praises for bringing them into the light?. The simple answer was that they benfited/were joyful about being in the light ie they saw the difference being in the light made to their lives. Thanks for posting :-)

    ReplyDelete