6/13/10

Take Heart

I am writing these words on a day when physically I am quite depleted. Two physically and emotionally challenging weeks have taken their toll. A good night’s sleep hasn’t done much to relieve the fatigue. My legs are stubbornly refusing to work. The pain is persistent.

Stacks of papers on the desk at my office (including a deadline for a book) call urgently for my attention. Other stacks of bills, business papers and ministry needs on my desk here at home are making the same appeal. (Little wonder that I’ve changed the words to a familiar hymn to “No Stacks in Heaven.”)

As I see the many needs and contemplate my own weakness, I sense a bit of the darkness we call depression trying to sneak back into my soul. Life’s challenges are looking pretty big. I am feeling pretty small, and this is not fun.

But then I recall Jesus’ words: “In this world, you will have trouble, but take heart, I have overcome the world.” Yes, I remind myself, there is trouble. Each day has its own, but once again today, as I have on hundreds of other days, I can take heart because I am with the one who has overcome.

I don’t know how it will all get done, but whether it does or doesn’t, I know he has written my name in heaven. I can’t see how to resolve every problem and meet every need, but I do know he works for good in everything.

My challenges are still real, but they look quite different when laid at the mouth of the empty tomb. As I think about him, I am taking heart. The legs aren’t any better, the pain and the fatigue are still there, but hope and courage are returning. The darkness is being pushed out and sealed off. I’m starting to look forward to what is ahead. I think that’s what he had in mind when he spoke these words.


Focus Scriptures

John 16:33
    "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Hebrews 12:22-24
    But you have come to Mount Zion, to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly, [23] to the church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God, the judge of all men, to the spirits of righteous men made perfect, [24] to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.

Romans 8:28-30
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. [29] For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. [30] And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

Psalm 5:11-12
    But let all who take refuge in you be glad;
        let them ever sing for joy.
    Spread your protection over them,
        that those who love your name may rejoice in you.
    [12] For surely, O Lord, you bless the righteous;
        you surround them with your favor as with a shield.









3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Tom! I needed to hear that this morning. Life often threatens to overwhelm me and I need to be reminded that it really doesn't matter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tom,
    I can't you tell how much this has encouraaged me & shows me, once again, how faithful & grateful I need to be. I've been in a wheelchair for the past 16 years (but at least have a wheelchair), my vision and visual tracking is off (but at least I can see some things), and my speech is slurred & hard to understand (but at least I can speak)!
    Thank you soooo much for your example & sharing!!!

    Love, Cheryl DeVeaux
    Columbia COC

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you Tom for sharing your struggles with us and keeping it real. That chain of depressions can be huge but with God we can move a mountain. Take Heart!!

    ReplyDelete