6/27/10

God Does Not Tire of Us

Those of you who have listened very long to this Web cast or read my book, Mind Change, know that I find in the Old Testament Psalms some of my greatest encouragement and inspiration. I decided at the beginning of this year to read one psalm each day and make some notes as I went along. I am almost finished with the 150 readings.

One of the things that strikes you as you go consistently  through this wisdom literature is how often David or the other psalmists say things like “Hasten, O God, to save me. O Lord, come quickly to help me” (Psalm 70:1). Close to fifty times the psalmists implore God to give “help” using that specific word.

As I read the prayers and cries of these men that God thought enough of to want to preserve their writings for us, I am encouraged. I am encouraged to see that I am not alone in feeling that life is too much for me to handle. I am not alone in often feeling that I need a lot of help.

But there is another more important reason that I am encouraged. I can sometimes wonder if God grows weary of hearing me asking for his help again and again. After all, how would a friend feel if I came to him this often with requests? But the fact that the Holy Spirit wanted us to have the Psalms reminds me that God absolutely does not tire of our cry for help. The book of Revelation says our prayers, and that would include these for help, come up to God like sweet smelling incense. Be amazed. Be encouraged, and be helped.

Focus Scriptures
Psalm 70:1-5
For the director of music. Of David. A petition.
    Hasten, O God, to save me;
        O Lord, come quickly to help me.
    [2] May those who seek my life
        be put to shame and confusion;
    may all who desire my ruin
        be turned back in disgrace.
    [3] May those who say to me, "Aha! Aha!"
        turn back because of their shame.
    [4] But may all who seek you
        rejoice and be glad in you;
    may those who love your salvation always say,
        "Let God be exalted!"
    [5] Yet I am poor and needy;
        come quickly to me, O God.
    You are my help and my deliverer;
        O Lord, do not delay.

Psalm 18:6
    In my distress I called to the Lord;
        I cried to my God for help.
    From his temple he heard my voice;
        my cry came before him, into his ears.


Psalm 88:13
    But I cry to you for help, O Lord;
        in the morning my prayer comes before you.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Tom! You're words always encourage me. I daily feel tempted to be overwhelmed by life. It is inspiring to see men of great faith in the Bible feel the same struggles and TURN TO GOD for help. My nature is to turn inward and get frustrated and angry. Sometimes I succeed in fighting against it and sometimes I don't, to my shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This thought really encouraged my soul today. So often I find myself afraid to ask God for help. Thinking that I should already have it down pat!! What a silly thought to have anyway! Thank you for reminding me of God's unconditional love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Wolfkk, we somethings think God is like us, but he not easily annoyed and always ready to respond to a humble cry for help

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was definitely very helpful. Now I will not feel ashamed in approaching God and asking Him for more and more Help. I know I definitely need it!

    ReplyDelete