1/24/10

Kierkegaard's Lily

Last week I used a story by Søren Kierkegaard. In another place he talks about the fact that there is a great difference in man and the lily. He describes the lily who knows nothing but how to totally be what God wants it to be. On the other hand, he says that we men are quite accomplished at what he calls “half measure”—that is doing things partly for God, but partly for ourselves.

He describes a certain lily which gets rooted in a most disadvantageous of places, meaning it is out in a place where its beauty may never be seen and where its ability to have an impact seems minimal or non-existent its whole life long. “Nevertheless,” he writes, “the lily puts up obediently with its circumstances and shoots up in all its beauty.”

We men, on the other hand, would complain that this situation is hard and should not be endured. If we have the ability to bloom beautifully, it is only fair, we protest, that we be in a place where we get noticed and appreciated.


When I read of Kierkegaard’s lily, I found myself immediately praying, “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me.” While there are times when I feel I deserve nothing and want nothing, there are other times when I want recognition or credit. I was reminded of a book Kierkegaard wrote titled Purity of Heart is to Will One Thing, and I prayed for a heart change that would mean absolutely no concern for anything but the will of God and no concern for where I am planted and whether it seems of any advantage to me.


In the future I know there will be plenty of times when I will say to myself, “Remember Kierkegaard’s lily.”

FOCUS SCRIPTURES

Luke 17:7-10

"Suppose one of you had a servant plowing or looking after the sheep. Would he say to the servant when he comes in from the field, 'Come along now and sit down to eat'? [8] Would he not rather say, 'Prepare my supper, get yourself ready and wait on me while I eat and drink; after that you may eat and drink'? [9] Would he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do? [10] So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.' "

1 Cor. 7:17-25

Nevertheless, each one should retain the place in life that the Lord assigned to him and to which God has called him. This is the rule I lay down in all the churches. [18] Was a man already circumcised when he was called? He should not become uncircumcised. Was a man uncircumcised when he was called? He should not be circumcised. [19] Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing. Keeping God's commands is what counts. [20] Each one should remain in the situation which he was in when God called him. [21] Were you a slave when you were called? Don't let it trouble you--although if you can gain your freedom, do so. [22] For he who was a slave when he was called by the Lord is the Lord's freedman; similarly, he who was a free man when he was called is Christ's slave. [23] You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men. [24] Brothers, each man, as responsible to God, should remain in the situation God called him to.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful thought! And I'm guessing that Jesus would look at this lonely lily, blooming in the most unlikely of circumstances..."Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might note that even though the Lily is more lowly than man, it is of great beauty. And though it may be planted in the most remote and undesirable places whereby it might not be appreciated by human eyes - it is appreciated by God's eyes. And that's all that matters, isn't it?

    I will take this story to heart all the more, because my name translated means Lily. Thank you and much appreciation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great seeing you last week, Tom. Thanks for the thoughtful writing and reflections on your website. I am thankful you get to teach the things God has taught you. You are a treasured son of God and a dear friend.

    ReplyDelete