1/5/14

Gifts for the Mind

A trio of ideas came my way this week—all good ones for beginning a new year. So, I want to take a break from my thoughts from the Letter to the Hebrews and pass these helps on to you.

First, my good friend Steve Brown, in the midst of a long vigil at his dying mother’s bedside, shared with me that is he has been stopping three times a day to deliberately focus on God. Then I read a tweet from another old friend encouraging us to all pick one word that would give us direction for the new year. He added a recommendation to read his daughter’s new blog post. Clicking on the link, I found encouragement to stop other things for five minutes, several times a day, for spiritual contemplation.


I realized how without any effort on my part, I had been graciously shown how to keep changing and renewing my mind. So, after considering several options for a word for the year, I selected: “wait,” as in “Be still before Yahweh and wait patiently for him” (Psalm 37:7). Then, I began stopping at least three times a day, taking five minutes each time to do nothing but focus on God, the life of love he calls us to live, or on my word “wait.”   


I can’t yet tell you what a month of this is like, but I am already giving thanks for a good plan that is connecting me with perspective and power, It will take some commitment and discipline, but I am eager. If you can gain from this, all the better.

5 comments:

  1. My Word will be Self-Control, and I will be taking the five minute "Time outs" to spend time with Daddy taliking about it throughout my day. "For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control" 1 Timothy 1:7 Thank you Tom, and God Bless
    YBIC
    Mark Flynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure of my word yet, but these are great thoughts that I intend to implement! Thanks for sharing, Tom!

      Delete
  2. My word is HOPE!I am having an incurable kind of cancer.I read somewhere that the best treatment for my cancer is having a hopeful attitude.If I give up hope l will die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Great thoughts! My word is between hope and love. I think it will b love. Love always hopes. Good things to implement in 2014! Nico

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine is"ransom" - God paid the ransom for me to be saved. Mark 10:45, I Tim 2:6

    ReplyDelete