6/25/13

God's Delight

This past weekend Sheila and I had the honor of spending time with the Jackson Church in Jackson, Mississippi. While there, I was reminded of a passage from Psalms that has long been a favorite of mine:

His pleasure is not in the strength of the horse, nor his delight in the legs of a man;
 the LORD delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love. Psalm 147:10-11

Of course, you would expect me to like this passage since my legs haven’t worked much for the last fifteen or twenty years. I am just glad that is not counted against me! But the passage is about much more than legs. It is telling us that man’s ways are not God’s ways. God is not impressed with the things men are normally impressed with. God does not look at things the same way we do.

The church we were with this weekend is small—really small. The leaders are not highly trained. They don’t meet in an impressive place. They certainly don’t have a big children’s program. But I am convinced the Lord delights in this church because I saw great faith. I saw people putting their hope in God’s unfailing love.

Some of them have been faithful through some incredibly challenging times. Some have made great sacrifices and have stepped out completely on faith to be there. Talking with them, you learn that they dream of doing great things. But as far as I am concerned, they are already doing great things. God will use them in more ways, but already they are the kind of people he delights in.

There were seven churches in Asia that received letters from Jesus through John in the Book of Revelation. One of those was doing a lot of right things, but was rebuked because they had lost their first love. One had a reputation for being alive which means they had done some impressive looking things, but they were rebuked because they were dead. A third said, “I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.” But Jesus said, “But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.” But then there was the church at Philadelphia which couldn’t have looked very impressive, but Jesus said to them, “I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.” He had only praise for them because God sees things differently.

How does this need to change your mind?


5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Tom, for these insights. If you don't mind I plan to use this as a small group study tomorrow night.

    Tim Spencer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Tim. May God bless your time.

      Delete
  2. This is encouraging to be reminded that even though I am only able to serve in smaller capacities because of my limited time and health, God still uses what little I can give and praises it. I've always struggled with feeling like I have to prove myself so I can be accepted. And to me if I'm not doing more for God then I feel lowly and don't feel like I deserve His love. It's good to know He sees things differently. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly appreciate this lesson. I am in a smaller church and we have truly weathered the storm. We are on an upswing now and it is truly because of God. God truly blesses our faith even when we have little strength.

    Val Shockley, Salt Lake Christian Church

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen Tom. I also belong to a smaller church, the Daytona Church of Christ in Daytona Beach. We have been through some slow time BUT GOD is faithful,we have had 5 men baptism (amen, Mighty Men of God). I look forward to much more God will do. Lets be faithful and keep persevering. Come and visit.

    ReplyDelete