5/26/13

I Will Not Forget You!

Again this week we feature an excerpt from The Promises of God ©1998 by Discipleship Publications International. This week’s post is from a chapter that Sheila wrote for the book.


“Can a mother forget the baby at her breast
    and have no compassion on the child she has borne?

Though she may forget,
    I will not forget you!
16 
See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;
    your walls are ever before me.  (Is. 49:`15-16)


A true story: Two-day-old Carly was lying contentedly in her hospital “cradle” with her sleeping mother nearby, exhausted from the birth ordeal. When her mother awakened, she cast a sleepy gaze toward her baby. Her eyes widened in horror. Panic rose. Her heart began to pound rapidly. Carly was gone! Her bed was empty.



The mom’s distraught sister issued a televised appeal to whoever took her niece: “Please bring Carly back to us!” Thankfully, two days later, Carly was returned to her grief-stricken mother. Her nightmare had ended. She held her baby close to her heart; her deep emptiness was filled.


Can you imagine Carly’s mother awakening and not discovering that her baby was gone until later that evening? How could she have forgotten her baby...forgotten to adore her, to feed her, to meet her physical and emotional needs? But God, speaking through Isaiah, says something very interesting: “Though she may forget, I will not forget you!” We can’t understand a mother forgetting her baby (although it sometimes happens), but God wants us to hear that his love surpasses even that of a mother.
How could God ever forget me or forget you? He says he has engraved each of us in the palms of his hands. Why do you think people write phone numbers and reminder notes to themselves with a ballpoint pen on the palms of their hands? Because they want to remember; they do not want to forget. Every move we make, everything we do involves our hands. As the hand moves, the writing on the palm catches the eye: “Don’t forget.” “Remember.”

Certainly God needs no reminder, but the analogy is for our sake. We need to be reminded that he needs no reminder. So, just imagine God taking out a pen and inscribing your name right in the middle of his “hand” in the indelible ink of love. Then take it one step further: The passage says he inscribes you on the palm of his hand, not just your name.  

Unrelated--Tom's Memorial Day comment on Twitter:

Another view on Memorial Day. Seek first the Kingdom of God. http://www.redletterchristians.org/what-if-we-honored-all-lost-soldiers-on-memorial-day/


3 comments:

  1. This is a great reminder about how God's love is more perfect than any of us will ever be as parents. God is watching over us and our children all the time, even when we are asleep. However, as a young mother that can often feel guilty for not "doing enough" (even when I have done all that I can), I can't help but defend this mother---she was merely sleeping next to her baby--she did not forget her! She was probably exhausted from just giving birth and needed her rest, too. All parents need to rest and rejuvenate in order to give to their children. We also need to tap into God's strength and power each day. God fills the gap where we fall short. If this book is reprinted in the future, I hope that it is reworded to capture the heart of the message, while not criticizing the mother for "forgetting" her child while merely getting the sleep she needed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you misunderstood. He's saying "Can you imagine Carly’s mother awakening and not discovering that her baby was gone until later that evening?"
      He's not saying she neglected her baby. He's asking us to imagine if this woman didn't notice that the baby was gone immediately when she awoke. Making the point of how absurd that would be.

      Delete
    2. Good morning and thank you soo much for sharing this. Its been awhile since I've read this "KIngdom Classic" and it inspires me to want to re-read "promises of God" again. It touched my heart to tears that that's the love God has for me! Yes, I need reminding of this like when I'm in a trial (almost losing my Mom recently and experiencing health challenges of my own too). I know that when my Husband, the Military Veteran gets his named "engraved" on special plaques its there to stay. I like the analogy and makes me feel "secure" in God's hands. Happy Memorial Day & especially to all those who've served! =)

      Delete