5/6/12

Jesus' Submissiveness


Some time ago, when I began studying the Gospel of Mark in search of the character and personality of Jesus, submissiveness was the first thing I wrote down about him. We do not go much more than two paragraphs into that Gospel before we read of Jesus submitting to John the Baptist via his baptism in the Jordan River (Mark 1:4–9).
Jesus clearly understood his vital role in God’s plan. He would soon be preaching that he was the fulfillment of the Scriptures. John was a prophet sent before him to prepare the way for him. John was not fit to carry the sandals of Jesus, and he admitted as much. And yet Jesus came out, and no doubt lined up with the rest of the people and humbly submitted himself to John’s baptism.

While living in another state years ago, Sheila and I were in the process of selling our home to a man who just happened to work as the head of a state welfare office. In order to get his signature on a document, I had to go to the place where he worked. When I arrived there, I went to a security guard and told him of my desire to see this gentleman. I was told by the guard that I would have to stand in line with others who were waiting there to see him. I looked around at the poor of our community, all waiting with rather empty expressions to see this man who would make some decision about the money they would receive. Something in me rebelled. I did not want to stand there and look like I was waiting for a handout. I did not want to be identified with those people. I wanted special treatment because I was someone else and had other business.

But then in that moment, as I stood there in that cold, institutional waiting room, I thought of Jesus going out to John the Baptist to be baptized. John was preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins and it was understood that those who were coming were sinners in need of forgiveness. They were standing in line waiting for John in order that they might receive something from him they could not do for themselves. Jesus could have felt as I felt that day in the welfare agency. He could have said, “I don’t have to be here because I’m different,” but he came and submitted to the man God had sent.

Submissiveness is one of the most misunderstood ideas and most underrated qualities. We misunderstand what it is and we certainly misunderstand what a powerful principle it is in the plan of God¾and even in the character of God himself.

7 comments:

  1. Great. I never thought in that way. It's both humbling and a good bible talk idea. Thanks.
    Daniel - Brasilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks bro, its refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tom, reminds me of what you wrote in the prideful soul's guide to humility:- The powerful creator G-D of this universe is in his very essence,a humble G-D! How privileged we are to worship and follow such an awesome god.
    Nikesh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fresh and valuable insight into Jesus' character - such humility, patience, compassion.
      You have a great gift to be able to read a scripture and pull out so much treasure. Thanks for sharing, Tom

      Delete
  4. Thanks Tom for calling our attention to a virtue we usually reserve the last place.

    We come face to face with the counter intuitive plans of God-humility,suffering,death,servanthood,gentleness,patience...

    God helps us to take a new way to look at all these and understand the necessity of embracing them

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen Tom. There is power and much grace in humility. When we are humble we will submit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ana Marìa CaroMay 28, 2012 at 3:46 PM

    Your post is helping me to see Jesus example. When we are living times with pain, trails and no answers, focusing on Jesus makes a huge difference. Thanks Tom.

    ReplyDelete